Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deburring trimmed cases with resizer

Regular Poster

Deburring trimmed cases with resizer

Finally got round to getting hold of a Lee mandrel to trim my .223 cases to length. Some of them needed quite a bit taking off (nearly 2mm) and as a result had quite a large burr round the outside. I found that by running them through the FL resizing die again, it very neatly deburred them all.

Keep meaning to load and stockpile ammo for the apocalypse but always end up plinking them away... I mean, testing...

2mm seems an awful lot to remove. Just how many times have these cases been fired and not trimmed?

I take it that you are using the shell holder/stop when trimming. If you continue to just run the trimmed cases through your resizing die after trimming without using the chamfer tool you run the risk of scratching the inside of the resizing die so not such a neat trick in my opinion.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Regular Poster
    No more than a couple of times - maybe they were longer to begin with, think I have some unfired left (Sako)

Thanks for the point about scratching the die, I'll look into getting a proper deburring tool

Regular Poster
    Hey, free shipping from Bushwear this weekend! Ordered 2...

Have you measured the case length after you trimmed them?

For 223 Rem they should be between 1.73" and 1.76" (43.94mm - 44.70mm)
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    Have you measured the case length after you trimmed them?

For 223 Rem they should be between 1.73" and 1.76" (43.94mm - 44.70mm)
    In all honesty, no. I trusted the length of the Lee gauge

OK, as long as you used either the Lee lock stud or Universal 3 jaw chuck they should be the right length (but check them anyway in case someone sent you the wrong case length gauge!).
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Regular Poster
    They were visibly longer than some unfired cases I had. When I last fired them the primers were a bit flattened - think there was too much headspace so probably more space to expand. Not significantly different to factory rounds, to be honest but I had crimped the bullets which I didn't do before when I worked up to the load

8x57 remarked that nearly 2mm is a heck of a lot to trim. I don't think I have ever needed to trim that amount. So I would look elsewhere for the 'problem'.
    I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on .22 Hornet, .243 and recently .260. The difference it makes on all loads for me, is reduction in maximum spread of velocity values and clean cases.
    In the .243 crimping increased velocity by an average of 25 fps in a 3,100 fps cartridge, so negligible for all practical purposes. If you are using the Lee crimper then I would doubt that is the source of any problems, unless the amount of crimp is excessive. The Lee tool is very powerful and if set wrongly can cause a 'bulge' in the bullet.
    Last edited by Uncle Norm; 31-05-2015 at 08:06. Reason: More info re crimp.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    OK, as long as you used either the Lee lock stud or Universal 3 jaw chuck they should be the right length (but check them anyway in case someone sent you the wrong case length gauge!).
    The stud is adjustable, if you screw it right down tight the cases will be short.

Neil.