Deburring trimmed cases with resizer

spandit

Finally got round to getting hold of a Lee mandrel to trim my .223 cases to length. Some of them needed quite a bit taking off (nearly 2mm) and as a result had quite a large burr round the outside. I found that by running them through the FL resizing die again, it very neatly deburred them all.

Keep meaning to load and stockpile ammo for the apocalypse but always end up plinking them away... I mean, testing... ;)

2mm seems an awful lot to remove. Just how many times have these cases been fired and not trimmed?

I take it that you are using the shell holder/stop when trimming. :-| If you continue to just run the trimmed cases through your resizing die after trimming without using the chamfer tool you run the risk of scratching the inside of the resizing die so not such a neat trick in my opinion. :confused:

No more than a couple of times - maybe they were longer to begin with, think I have some unfired left (Sako)

Thanks for the point about scratching the die, I'll look into getting a proper deburring tool

Have you measured the case length after you trimmed them?

For 223 Rem they should be between 1.73" and 1.76" (43.94mm - 44.70mm)

OK, as long as you used either the Lee lock stud or Universal 3 jaw chuck they should be the right length (but check them anyway in case someone sent you the wrong case length gauge!).

They were visibly longer than some unfired cases I had. When I last fired them the primers were a bit flattened - think there was too much headspace so probably more space to expand. Not significantly different to factory rounds, to be honest but I had crimped the bullets which I didn't do before when I worked up to the load

8x57 remarked that nearly 2mm is a heck of a lot to trim. I don't think I have ever needed to trim that amount. So I would look elsewhere for the 'problem'.
I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on .22 Hornet, .243 and recently .260. The difference it makes on all loads for me, is reduction in maximum spread of velocity values and clean cases.
In the .243 crimping increased velocity by an average of 25 fps in a 3,100 fps cartridge, so negligible for all practical purposes. If you are using the Lee crimper then I would doubt that is the source of any problems, unless the amount of crimp is excessive. The Lee tool is very powerful and if set wrongly can cause a 'bulge' in the bullet.

Last edited:
OK, as long as you used either the Lee lock stud or Universal 3 jaw chuck they should be the right length (but check them anyway in case someone sent you the wrong case length gauge!).

The stud is adjustable, if you screw it right down tight the cases will be short.

Neil. :)

The stud is adjustable, if you screw it right down tight the cases will be short.

Neil. Do you mean if you screw the length gauge all the way into the cutter on the hand tool or are you talking about a different tool please ?

Neil. Do you mean if you screw the length gauge all the way into the cutter on the hand tool or are you talking about a different tool please ?

If you screw it firmly right in there is a really good chance the cases will be short, so check a case and adjust as needed.

So had I Norm! I ended up cutting approx 50 of them a couple thou shorter than saami trim length (no big deal I spose), but also a load were very short before I started. Have a check before you do any trimming - am pretty sure mine varied from 2.020 to 2.030" straight out of the box.

Neil I don't quite follow that as I thought the case had to be screwed down tight in the stud and that the pin butting up against the stud was your length stop. I thought that it was one of the "faults " of the Lee system that the length was fixed and not adjustable. You are not thinking of the Lee "Quick Trim" die system are you?

I think what Neil means is that while, yes, you have to screw the length gauge down tight, you can screw it down over-tight (going too far with pliers for example!).
While it is not meant to be adjustable, I have now taken care to set it up by tightening it gradually, trimming and measuring a case as I go, until reaching saami trim length. Since doing this I have only trimmed approx 30 so far but they are all +/- half a thou of saami trim length which I am very happy with.
I also think it had something to do with the fact that my cutter was worn. I have since replaced the cutter. Less burring to remove also.
I use the system by chucking the cutter and length gauge in a drill, which works a treat.

Last edited:
PLIERS?, AArgh!, takes me back to the days as an apprentice, pliers were the tool used by the Mechanic, to bruise my knuckles for using "Butcher techniques".:D

:D I hasten to add the length gauge was wrapped in a piece of cloth to avoid damage before using pliers to carefully turn it! The gauges (or my two anyway) cannot be screwed in by fingers alone.

I have a total of six length gauges and all bar one can be screwed in using just your fingers. I've just checked the Lee manual and it mentions in there that the lock stud acts as the stop. Thus the overall length of the trim is governed by the length of the pin tip to the shoulder, which I confirmed by vernier caliper.

Back