Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: so many calibre's to choose from

so many calibre's to choose from

So many calibre's to choose from . I am just in the process of putting in a variation for a new rifle which would cover me for all deer in the UK and wild boar I thought I had narrowed it down to two . The 270 or 308 but reading all the threads on here I am not to sure . The rifle would be used for Fox ,muntjack,roe, fallow,and in time red deer and boar . I have a rimfire for small game and a 204 and 223 for Fox so many calibre's. I would probably going for a second hand rifle and I don't reload as yet .got the land hopefully it will be passed and more important the go-ahead from the wife. Any help would be appreciated cheers craig

You won't go wrong with either a 308 or 270.

I'm in the process of trying to cut down on the number of calibres that I use. At present I'm leaning towards .30-06 as being one of the most versatile calibres, due to the huge variety of commercial loads available (I don't reload yet either).

Can't help you decide but any of the usual suspects will do all you need and more.
    Since you don't reload, walk in to your gun shop and ask what cartridges they have the most of in and in how many varieties. That's the one you want.
    308 will favour well in this regard. You can get .270's pretty cheap as its out of fashion but if you can't feed it then it's hardly a bargain.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Regular Poster
    My FEO seems quite happy in letting me have a .270 but is really reluctant on the .308

I'll be reloading whatever I get so not much of a factor what my local RFD stocks

Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    My FEO seems quite happy in letting me have a .270 but is really reluctant on the .308

I'll be reloading whatever I get so not much of a factor what my local RFD stocks
    If you have good reason to own and use a rifle for deer the choice is entirely yours to make from any of the 'deer appropriate' cartridge chamberings. Ignore your FEO on this .270 yes but .308 reluctant b-s. Just you submit your application and require the licensing people to process it. You'll find that the cool business-like approach works wonders. Don't be drawn into any nonsense. For what it's worth, we can and do argue endlessly about cartridges but there is no convincing argument that will prove that a .308 Winchester is anything other than just about as versatile and useful as they come. From Muntjac to Moose.

There are some VERY nice 7mm x 08's for sale on here at the moment! That would cover everything you list.
    MS

Regular Poster
    .270 rifles cheap, though!

Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post

Another idiot!

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Another idiot!
    Me or the FEO?