Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Been doing it all wrong

Been doing it all wrong

Well when out stalking I've always been a believer in good camouflage, concealment, moving slowly and being quiet while being aware of wind direction. To be honest I don't usually do too bad and see a few deer along the way.
    However this last week I've been off work over the bank holiday and the 5 year old was on half term. We, wife, little one & myself, planned on weather permitting going camping for a few days. I intended throwing the rifle in and getting a couple of stalking trips in on the syndicate.
    Well the wife came down with the flu and a chest infection so we didn't go. Sunday evening I decided I'd take the little one & dog up to the woods for a day or two so the wife could chill out in bed.
    Set off Monday morning and arrived at the woods 1030hrs, as I drove through the gate I decided to prep the rifle as I've regularly seen deer at the side of the track. Then a buck appeared on the left about 70 yards, I stopped the truck & turned the engine off, just as I levelled the rifle the buck crossed the track right into the cross hairs & he was grassed. I drove up picked him up then drove to where we set up a tent. Gralloch done, cleaned up & had something to eat, then out for a walk. Dog on lead, 5 year old chatting away waving a stick about as I showed her a high tower seat that I built. To our surprise a buck & doe appeared to our left & as they jumped the stream only 40 yards away, the buck stopped and looked at us. That was his big mistake as he became number 2 in the bag.
    That evening we went lamping foxes on a couple of farms, getting back to the tent about 0130 hrs, she was knackered so it was no surprise when I woke her at 0400 hrs she just groaned, rolled over & went back to sleep. So I did like wise. I got up about 0800 hrs had a brew did a bit of target practice with the .22 rim fire then sat outside the tent with another brew just chilling when a buck stepped out about 90 yards away, I slowly put down my brew picked up the .308, chambered a round & number 3 was in the bag. The little one didn't even wake up.
    When she got up we had breakfast / lunch, packed up and came home.
    Next time I go stalking I'm going to listen to my iPod, probably without earphones and wear a bright red/yellow/blue Jacket. Or just take the chattering 5 year old again
    Wingy
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

haha good story. great things happen when you least expect it
    I think the bucks will be confident at this time of year

Well done! Sounds like an amazing couple of days!

Great stuff! That's what makes memories.

She will now think your amazing but how will you top it on her next trip out. Sounds like a great trip though well done

What a great and pleasurable thread to read.
    I think it's great that you have a youngster that is comfortable going out stalking with you, seeing a deer shot and watching it being graloched.
    Well done for introducing your daughter to "country ways" rather than being happy to just let her "vigitate" at home with a PC, Gameboy or IPod!
    We need a lot more parents like you in order for our "country ways" can continue long after we are gone! I raise my hat you and to all other parents who do the same as you have just done!

Nice one thanks! Hope the little one grows up to go stalking - she is having a great start going out with you!

I had a great time when I was growing up in Sussex, a grandfather who shot deer and cured skins for me, stalking and ferreting over the downs. The Sussex downs were a wonderful place to be when i was growing up!

Sounds like you both had a fantastic weekend, very good write up

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    What a great and pleasurable thread to read.
    I think it's great that you have a youngster that is comfortable going out stalking with you, seeing a deer shot and watching it being graloched.
    Well done for introducing your daughter to "country ways" rather than being happy to just let her "vigitate" at home with a PC, Gameboy or IPod!
    We need a lot more parents like you in order for our "country ways" can continue long after we are gone! I raise my hat you and to all other parents who do the same as you have just done!
    Tell them about Santa and the bambi burgers Wingy.

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?