Thread: curing oven

curing oven

What sort of curing oven do you guys that paint use or do you use heat lamps? I have a couple of my own guns I'd like to paint and would rather do it properly if I can

Thanks in advance Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by adrian0100 View Post
    What sort of curing oven do you guys that paint use or do you use heat lamps? I have a couple of my own guns I'd like to paint and would rather do it properly if I can

Thanks in advance Adrian
    Activated paint will air dry! No need for heat lamps....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Depends on the size of your parts you want to cure.

Take your pick, there are some for a 100s or some for 1000s. Whilst it's not impossible like some I've heard say it will take some investment but not the 10k someone has mentioned on another forum.

Coating is simple, it's when it goes wrong that it gets interesting.

Thanks for the replys. it's a couple of barrels and actions bolts ect I'm not talking car wheels. As I said it's for my own personal things nothing else
    Thanks for the advice again

I cure between 50-60 deg C. This covers aerospace quality epoxy resins and duracoat. Metal parts/duracoat cured for a min of 48h I do 5-10 days at this temp gives really good properties. Duracoat on epoxy seems very good after 24h + a few days at RT. I don't do ceracoat.

My home built oven is heated with an old fashioned stove top coil, switched two coils inline to avoid glowing, built in fan to shovel air around and venturi air suction to keep oven below room pressure. This avoids fumes going into the room from the oven and one can select the amount of air to flush through the oven (piped to the outside) to avoid a combustible mixture. I can get about 10 stocks in at one time an a few moulds or a few complete rifles.
    At a push one can use a thermostat from a copper hot water tank, cheap and hold around +/- 5 deg C. Two inline increase safety. Total costs of my oven including insulation was around 150 Euro. Running just about day and night since 6 years.
    Just planning a bigger oven
    edi

Oven or furnace below 1000 deg C you'll have difficulty getting the temp being consistent without fan circulating the air.
    The oven in the vid is a typical home design with a huge temp differences inside.
    edi

Thanks for all your help guys might have to try and build one as it looks like it will work out a hell of a lot cheaper

I started with a cheap student flat type oven for smalls parts AMD now I use an old gun cabinet that has been insulated. Internal thermostat and 4 heat bars.

Internal thermometer and a BBQ one on it as well. Hold temp very well. Cerakote spot on and very happy with it. Just need to find a supplier that doesn't charge 18 delivery for 4oz of cerakote now.