Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm rem mag, roe and red

7mm rem mag, roe and red

Hi all

Looking at getting a 7mm rem mag for the above 2 species, just wanted people's experience who have actually shot either of these with the above calibre?

planning on using 150ish grain bullets at the lower end of 7mm velocitys.

Also so what's the recoil like with a decent moddy compared to something like a .270?

Cheers
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

Bought a 7RM for similar reasons. Only had it for a few months and shot a couple of roe with it. Started off with Sierra 150gr gamekings, way to destructive to chest shoot roe. Doesn't help that my rifle is most accurate on near max load. I have some 160gr nosler accubond on order which I hope will do the trick for both species.

Recoil is very tolerable, I don't honestly see what all the fuss is about.

Good to know with the recoil carper

i guess it is rather fast with 150gr would be interested to hear how you get on with the 160's. Have you any photos of the meat damage from 150 at all?

Had one a few years back. Used it for a year and shot 30 or 40 deer with it, mix of Roe Red and Sika.

I found the recoil a bit too much. It affected my accuracy. I know I was shooting .5 MOA on a bench but it went well outside 1" in the field with the odd flyer.

I used accubonds to try to reduce carcass damage, both 140 and 160. However, carcass damage was significant, even on Red. I even had the Stalker on the estate I go back to every year for the Reds ask me very nicely to bring something else with me the following year.

You really don't need anything as powerful as a 7mmRM for stalking any species of deer in the UK at normal stalking ranges.
    So much to learn and so little time left

I used 140grn Sierra flat base bullets at the lower end load, shot loads of red and roe damage to roe was no different than the 243 with 90 grn bullets, got some dies and cases to sell if you are interested

Unfortunately no, took out an exit hole maybe 8" sucking out the lungs, liver and rumen (which miraculously stayed intact!) Bit of damage to the back strap as well. I have taken to neck shooting now until I get a new load cooked up. The gameking is a relatively thin jacketed bullet designed to expand rapidly. I think a solidly constructed bullet is going to be a must for this calibre, especially if you take many sub 100yd shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow_Stalker View Post
    Hi all

Looking at getting a 7mm rem mag for the above 2 species, just wanted people's experience who have actually shot either of these with the above calibre?

planning on using 150ish grain bullets at the lower end of 7mm velocitys.

Also so what's the recoil like with a decent moddy compared to something like a .270?

Cheers
    I had one for a bit. It didn't kill things better than the 7x57 it replaced but all the deer shot with it where within 150 metres. As I'm probably 11 stone soaking wet you'll appreciate recoil was a problem. As most Cornish folk are a bit bigger than me I hope it works well for you

I cant speak from much experience, but think that you'll need to go for 175gr bullets to keep the velocity at reasonable levels, or look at sturdy premium bullets (of which the copper variety are meant to cause minimal meat damage, even at very high velocity). There are a few folk on here who seem to have no problems with the 300 win mag which is similar(ish) to the 7mm.

Nigel, point dusky noted however as daft as it sounds it's the calibre that ticked the majority of my boxes. I realistically have red ranging from 100 (about as close as I can get) to 300+ should my shooting be up to it.

carper, that really is some serious damage! I was thinking of going partitions.

Awmc, yes I'm about half your weight again so have some extra cushioning for the recoil lol how did you find the meat damage compared to the 57?

I use Barnes in mine, either TSX or TTSX 140gr as for damage I think you'll be surprised at just how little there is and the recoil isn't an issue either.......give them a try, they aren't cheap but well worth the money!