Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hogue stock accuracy issues

Hogue stock accuracy issues

Hi all,

Got a Howa 1500 .243 with a hogue stock. There is a huge amount of play in the front end and im having some pretty severe accuracy issues also and im pretty sure its the inconsitency when loading the bipod.

Ive tried all sorts of ammunition and various shooters aswell incase i was shooting badly. Im fairly sure that the issue is in the stock as it will shoot well for a few shots and then flyers come out of nowhere without pulling a shot, and the only thing i can think is inconsitent loading to the bipod resulting in varying degrees of flex and/or barrel touching side due to flex

Any input gratefully received

cheers

KS
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

Presumably it doesnt have an alloy bedding block? Personally I would replace the stock with one from PSE as they do a Howa SA inlet. Otherwise stiffening the forend might help.

PSE-Composites

You assume correctly srvet, no alloy bedding block. I think stiffening of the stock could be the way to go, i was thinking of maybe deepening the barrel channel, and then carbon fibre and epoxy with some jb weld closest to the barrel for good measure. Ive read a bit about there still being flex near the recoil block though? Its not really anything ive had involvement with before but im keen to try and get this rifle sorted.
    Also those pse stocks look nice however i need to try to acheive this with minimal invesment really as the rifle isnt worth much and planning on an upgrade very soon, but thought i may sort it in the short term....
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

fair enough, nothing to lose by trying to stiffen it.

Hi I had the same thing with the 204 r I have so I bought a Boyds stock from The US and haven't looked back since for 130 its a nice upgrade and sorts out any flex problems

Hi take the bipod off and shot from bags(arolled up coat or 2 will give you 1-2 inch groups from a warm barrell) if the rifle is ok with and it likes the ammo.Sorry if you have already tried this.Keep the bags back well guns can shoot with bags as far back as the tiggergaurd ,it should give you some idea.,about the forend.

Mine was the same, now bedded and stiffened has 2 stainless steel rods in IT. How it was done as I don't know as a mate did it for me. Its now more accurate than the owner.

Altenatatively get a thumbhole Boydes from it.

D

common stock problem when using a bipod
    took me god know how many rounds before I realised the stock was the issue:

anyone have first hand experience of having a barrel bore scoped by a gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow_Stalker View Post
    You assume correctly srvet, no alloy bedding block. I think stiffening of the stock could be the way to go, i was thinking of maybe deepening the barrel channel, and then carbon fibre and epoxy with some jb weld closest to the barrel for good measure. Ive read a bit about there still being flex near the recoil block though? Its not really anything ive had involvement with before but im keen to try and get this rifle sorted.
    Also those pse stocks look nice however i need to try to acheive this with minimal invesment really as the rifle isnt worth much and planning on an upgrade very soon, but thought i may sort it in the short term....
    You can buy a Hogue stock with the bedding block for about 60. Should fix the problem.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......