Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyperthetical Question - any real world difference between .222 and .223

Hyperthetical Question - any real world difference between .222 and .223

Somewhat theoretical as no room in cabinet, nor on certificate, nor on a need basis, but being left handed, left handed small centre fires are hard to find and .222 even more so. There are a few properly scaled small actions in .223, but not in.222 - cz527 comes to mind.

If I was going this route, is there any noticeable difference in the two? I would prefer the .222, but .223 is the only realistic option save custom route.

usually faster twist
    more powder volume
    chucks heavier bullets when in faster twist guise
    chucks comparable bullets faster by 200fps
    cheap milsurp ammo available
    can compete in FTR if you are brave

Gods Calibre
    the end

BRNO Fox/CZ 527 Mini Mauser and Sako A1 are the smaller scaled actions I can think of
    Or you could go single shot break barrel or Ruger No.1 if you like weight lifting!

Triple two, no contest.
    This cartridge held the 100yd Light Varmint record of 0.009" five shot group, yes that 9 thousandths of an inch, set in 1973.
    Thought to be unbeatable it was actually broken only two years ago by a group measuring 0.0077"
    Even with the advent of the PPC family of hyper-accurate competition cartridges around 1975 it still took 40 years for the little triple to be beaten.

Ian.

It depends on what you mean by noticeable difference. On the BR scene...yes, 222. Real world in the field, dropping vermin at silly distance off the Land Rover roof, then no. In fact, give me a 223. It hits harder and throws heavier lead.

IMHO horses for courses.

Atb
    Last edited by achosenman; 01-06-2015 at 21:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Triple two, no contest.
    This cartridge held the 100yd Light Varmint record of 0.009" five shot group, yes that 9 thousandths of an inch, set in 1973.
    Thought to be unbeatable it was actually broken only two years ago by a group measuring 0.0077"
    Ian.
    The OP's question asked if there was any real world difference between the 222 and 223. Ancient benchrest records are all well and good, but they aren't what he was asking for.

The real world difference is that the .223 can contain a large powder charge. So for bullets of a given weight, it fires them faster. A typical 223 factory rifle will have a faster twist rate than the 222 so it can stabilize longer (and heavier) bullets than the 222. In the real world, shooting foxes etc at sensible distances, there isn't much to chose between them. Certainly, it would be misleading to suggest that if you buy a factory rifle in 222, or had one made to order, it will be more accurate than the same rifle in 223.

-JMS
    Last edited by JMS906; 01-06-2015 at 20:11.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post
    The OP's question asked if there was any real world difference between the 222 and 223. Ancient benchrest records are all well and good, but they aren't what he was asking for.

The real world difference is that the .223 can contain a large powder charge. So for bullets of a given weight, it fires them faster. A typical 223 factory rifle will have a faster twist rate than the 222 so it can stabilize longer (and heavier) bullets than the 222. In the real world, shooting foxes etc at sensible distances, there isn't much to chose between them. Certainly, it would be misleading to suggest that if you buy a factory rifle in 222, or had one made to order, it will be more accurate than the same rifle in 223.

-JMS
    agree and if I think about it further this is a genuine reason the use the +1 quote :-)... I use a 204 now
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

Real world the .223 is able to fire heavier bullets faster , what difference that will make to any thing you aim at is negligible -the .222 just oozes character that the others dream they had.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    Real world the .223 is able to fire heavier bullets faster , what difference that will make to any thing you aim at is negligible -the .222 just oozes character that the others dream they had.
    Agree here, it's the character of the.222 I like. But finding a left handed one ...........

I totally understand characterful cartridges and I would choose a .222 for my own reasons but I've got to ask, what makes .222 characterful?
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me