Thread: School Re-union

School Re-union

My wife left school in 1958 and as we moved quite some distance away, Singapore, from the area shortly afterwards and far as I am aware, had no contact with it or any of her fellow in mates since, so was rather surprised to be contacted a few weeks ago and invited to a school re union.
    The re union took place last week-end and what a shock/surprise :-)
    I didn't go to the same school as my wife but was pretty well known around her village both when I was courting and when I was working there after leaving my school in Yeovil.
    Without the name tags I would only have recognised one or two people but what did a great deal for my ego was that they all recognised me !!
    Wendy had a fantastic time talking with and about all the girls she grew up with and how they had all gone different ways and did different things
    Some were on their fourth marriage and some had worn one or two husbands out :-(
    All had grey hair and had lost a bit of the figure but not half as bad as some of the men !
    My goodness some of them couldn't see their toe caps let alone their 'important bits' even if they tried.
    I must admit I saw a wide selection of walking sticks, zimmer frames, hearing aides and when some started comparing medication, between them they could have stocked up a large branch of Boots !!
    The only reason I can think of the reason for the difference in health and body shapes of the men from myself was due to my length of Army service perhaps because I didn't start going down hill until my mid fourties after demob .
    Blowing my own trumpet, you bet and I can't wait until the next re-union.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    My wife left school in 1958 and as we moved quite some distance away, Singapore, from the area shortly afterwards and far as I am aware, had no contact with it or any of her fellow in mates since, so was rather surprised to be contacted a few weeks ago and invited to a school re union.
    The re union took place last week-end and what a shock/surprise :-)
    I didn't go to the same school as my wife but was pretty well known around her village both when I was courting and when I was working there after leaving my school in Yeovil.
    Without the name tags I would only have recognised one or two people but what did a great deal for my ego was that they all recognised me !!
    Wendy had a fantastic time talking with and about all the girls she grew up with and how they had all gone different ways and did different things
    Some were on their fourth marriage and some had worn one or two husbands out :-(
    All had grey hair and had lost a bit of the figure but not half as bad as some of the men !
    My goodness some of them couldn't see their toe caps let alone their 'important bits' even if they tried.
    I must admit I saw a wide selection of walking sticks, zimmer frames, hearing aides and when some started comparing medication, between them they could have stocked up a large branch of Boots !!
    The only reason I can think of the reason for the difference in health and body shapes of the men from myself was due to my length of Army service perhaps because I didn't start going down hill until my mid fourties after demob .
    Blowing my own trumpet, you bet and I can't wait until the next re-union.
    ....crikey, by the sounds of it the next one could well be a lot less well-attended!!
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    ....crikey, by the sounds of it the next one could well be a lot less well-attended!!
    More free beer and buffet to go round - yippee !!
    Actually someone brought the age thing up and said it would have made a good stiory for the local paper if all the ages had been added up the total would have been astronomical.
    There was one ex serviceman there and to start with he was the centre of attention and rather loud with it too as he had done twenty three years in the navy.
    He was telling everybody about his career, then someone remembered that I had been in the Army and completed a little more than the obligatory 22 years as well.
    When we compared careers it turned out I had visited more foreign Naval bases than he had and where he spent a few days or weeks in each station I had spent months or years so after we had a chat he tended to fade into the background a bit and was a bit quieter.
    Nice enough guy it was just that he was from 'up country' and thought he was surrounded by a bunch of west country yokels.

Eddy, if my memory serves me correctly, you showed a few young pretenders how to conduct themselves at the bar, one evening in Croatia. And turned out ready to hunt next morning !
    Nice to know the Silver Fox still rides high in the saddle!
    Kev.

Hi kev, I'm glad you remember me for my good points
    Although, I am supposed to slow down now, apparently, it is the law ;-)
    I've been told from seventy you are supposed to slow down and gently slip into the eighties so for the next few years I must watch myself