Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderators

Moderators

Hi folks, I was wondering if you can clear something up or offer advice.

I was speaking to one of my shooting buddies the other night. He went in to his local rfd to change over his well used and decidedly dead moderator for his .270. It's been a while since he'd done changed anything on his shooting rig (he is rather tight fisted I might add.....).

He was told that to replace/swap his moderator for a new one, he would have to do a 1-4-1 variation.

If this is the case for him, it may mean a 3 month wait for the variation and no shooting since his .270 is his one and only rifle, and the moderator had been entered on his licence with a make, model, pitch thread. His land owner insists on all rifles to be moderated.

If this is the case, should we all have 2 moderators for each rifle since there is a good chance that the moderator will "wear out" before the rifle will?

It is correct that he will need a 141. Pain in the rectum which many RFD's sidestep by just doing a swap, although legally they really shouldn't.

speaking for myself all my mods are the same thread so i can swap if need be,no help i know,and yes hes supposed to do a 1 4 1 but on here theres a few lads that have sensible/or not? rfd,s that will do straight swaps,atb doug,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 01-06-2015 at 14:28.
    DONT START

It really makes our already over burdened feo's work load greater than necessary, not to mention my shooting buddy out of work for 3 months......

With this in mind, should we all have 2 moderators for each rifle on our licence, one space filled with the moderator you use, and the space available to buy as and when necessary to continue your tasks required by your land owner when you change your moderator via 1-4-1 and want to continue shooting.

It's madness having moderators as Section 1 anyway. The SAK is a perfect case in point....buy it for an air rifle & it's non-FAC. But stick it on a rimmy without it on your ticket & you're in the sh1 t??? Complete lunacy
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Or buy a totally strippable moderator such as the wildcat and just replace the bits as and when. A bit like Trigger's broom - 6 new heads and three new handles.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by dropmdead View Post
    Hi folks, I was wondering if you can clear something up or offer advice.

I was speaking to one of my shooting buddies the other night. He went in to his local rfd to change over his well used and decidedly dead moderator for his .270. It's been a while since he'd done changed anything on his shooting rig (he is rather tight fisted I might add.....).

He was told that to replace/swap his moderator for a new one, he would have to do a 1-4-1 variation.

If this is the case for him, it may mean a 3 month wait for the variation and no shooting since his .270 is his one and only rifle, and the moderator had been entered on his licence with a make, model, pitch thread. His land owner insists on all rifles to be moderated.

If this is the case, should we all have 2 moderators for each rifle since there is a good chance that the moderator will "wear out" before the rifle will?
    I believe some forces will word one for ones "may purchase.... on the sale of ....." which would enable your friend to keep his mod in the meantime (unless it's really really dead of course?)

If it is, then it might be worth a firm but kindly worded phone call to the firearms department explaining the situation and seeing if he can drive down for a one for one whilst he waits.

Or is theref another silencer on an estate rifle he can use whilst on the estate in the meantime?

Its a good reason to have the same thread on all your barrels- I can use my .308 silencer to tide me over on all my other rifles
    Last edited by Crosshair243; 01-06-2015 at 17:50.

unless your RFD was willing to "replace under warranty"........
    no 141 required, I also suspect that as the moderator is unlikely to have a serial number it would be entirely down to the RFD in question

You don't need a 1-4-1 for a like for like rifle (sell/px old .270 and replace with new .270) IF it's just handwritten on the chit.
    The RFD just crosses one out and writes the other.
    The problem only arises when the rifle is in print on there for any reason.

Thats the advice that my FLD gave me. They do not require you to send your chit in when you add a new rifle so they can add it in print either.
    Unless it is in print it works the same way as a shotgun chit basically.

I would presume (but don't know) that they would operate the same with a moddy.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me