Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deep frying

Deep frying

Any one tried deep fried pheasant I was told a whole hen bird can be cooked in mins and stay juicy. Any thoughts welcome before I try this.
    Shakey

Interesting thought! I suppose it saves plucking and dressing it - you'll just need to keep the batter quite light so it doesn't clog up too badly in the feathers.

Sounds like a Jock recipe?
    Any nation that can deep fry Mars bars or Kebabs could surely do a pheasant?
    Seriously though, why not? Pheasant can be very dry. Cooked quickly and submerged in fat would surely help.
    KFP?

Pheasant leg confit ?

Don't Americans often deep fry whole turkeys?

Also... am I the only Jock that's never even seen a deepfried mars bar? Are they a cruel trick played on unsuspecting tourists?

As andyf says, that's how Americans do their turkeys, especially at Thanksgiving and they're really nice. Never thought about applying it to anything smaller, but don't see why it wouldn't work. The oil seals the meat quickly so you don't get horrible greasy food. Keep us informed of how you get on!!

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    Yep

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Not quite in keeping with the original premise, but I quite often brine, then confit pheasant legs, then dredge them in flour, egg and breadcrumbs before dropping them into hot oil for a few moments. As they're already cooked, the legs just need long enough to crisp up the coating. Every time a winner. Works great with rabbit, too
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

No your not the only jock who won't touch deep fried mars bar .... That's just wrong !!!

Don't get me wrong I love batter ... But round a decent bit of haddock

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post

Also... am I the only Jock that's never even seen a deepfried mars bar? Are they a cruel trick played on unsuspecting tourists?
    Nope never seen one either.