Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paid days

Paid days

Hi guys
    Is anyone offering paid days for boar? Also do you need boar to be entered on your ticket to be able to hunt them?
    Thanks

Hi Mack,
    I remember seeing someone advertising Boar hunting on ebay a while ago. I think the days/evenings were selling for 250 or 300 ish.
    Yes, I believe you do need them entered on to your licence and I also believe the minimum recommended calibre is .270 but I am probably wrong.
    Cheers
    Andy

No you are not wrong Andy. You must have it entered on your ticket, and although officially there is not bench mark for calibre (I think ) the advice from the home office is 270 calibre and upwards.

What I would add is steer clear of any advert for taking Wild Boar at Carminnows Estate in Scotland. It is a canned hunt.

Grantoliver
    What does canned hunt mean malc.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc

What I would add is steer clear of any advert for taking Wild Boar at Carminnows Estate in Scotland. It is a canned hunt.
    i once booked a weekend at carminnows for wild boar and possibly a chance at a bison cow so with the booking confirmed i told my FLO, my FLO would not put the relevant authorites on my ticket and warned me against going on this trip as this paticular eatate were not looked on favourably as they did these so called canned hunts and this was over 10 years ago. i am surprised they are still doing this

baisicaly grant
    when you go for your days stalking the estate would that morning release the particular animal in question into a large enclosure so it would guarantee to find that animal for you to shoot and it would not be wild enough to run away, so offering a easy stalk and shot
    stone

Hi Grant. Its an American term "Canned Hunt". Basically you are lead to believe as a hunting client that you are hunting something fair chase outside of any enclosure or fenced area, when you are not!!!

But on a "Canned Hunt" that is what you get. A hunt on a fenced area, where the animals are fed, sometimes out of a bucket, and then you are taken round and they try to kid you its a wild free range Deer or Wild Boar. You will be suprised how many people get caught out like this, although its becoming less common these days.

Taking out exotic trophies such as Pere David or Hog Deer is undertaken on large deer parks, and although not everyones cup of tea, it is a task that has to be done. These are not in my book "Canned Hunts" as people know what to expect, and you could only take one of these species in a Deer Park

Sometime back they were even selling "Canned Hunts" in South Africa, taking zoo Lions and releasing them about 30 minutes before the hunter came round to shot it, and in some instances drugging it so it did not move. It is very rare to hear of this in Africa these days, PHASA has worked hard to erradicate these arsehole operators. And of course all true hunters/stalkers would never have anything to do with these people or would want to be associated with them.

The canned hunting situation became very public in South Africa (and globally) a few years ago when an undercover (BBC i think) journalist was offered a obviously drugged lion in a very small enclosure to shoot. This lion was drugged so it kept still and released into a small pen so it couldn't escape. Where is the skill and fun in that.

Big game hunting is big business and a paying client doesnt usually want to go home empty handed. This means managers do whatever takes to get the client what they want (and for them to get their money). This obviously means resorting to unethical means. These people should not be allowed anywhere near our sport.

Isn't the thrill of the stalk the best part? I'd rather go home empty handed that resort to these tactics.

I have to say that as a rule these canned hunts in South Africa were mostly for Lion, although other species were involved. It was bought to the general publics attention by a journalits whos name escapes me for the moment, but he was an english guy.

Similar events have happened with Leopard, including placing Leopards that have been shot cattle raiding and then frozen in deep freeze, only for the client to shoot it out of the tree. Believe me this HAS happened.

Having hunted Africa a few times and conducted trips out there I have built up a good many professional contacts, and get to hear about these stories quite a bit. BUT this was mostly back in the late 1980's early 1990's, and as I have siad before PHASA have nailed most of these *******s into the floor and it is rare that you hear of these events now.

The estate in question was I believe advertsing Wild Boar hunts last year, they have a new manager I believe, this comes from a very reliable source of mine my advice keep well clear.

Grantoliver
    Surely this is common, particularly in france where I believe a great deal of wild boar shooting takes place in enclosed land. I dont like it at all and would rather not get involved. My assumption is the greater the demand for hunting, the more it will happen.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc
    I have to say that as a rule these canned hunts in South Africa were mostly for Lion, although other species were involved. It was bought to the general publics attention by a journalits whos name escapes me for the moment, but he was an english guy.

Similar events have happened with Leopard, including placing Leopards that have been shot cattle raiding and then frozen in deep freeze, only for the client to shoot it out of the tree. Believe me this HAS happened.

Having hunted Africa a few times and conducted trips out there I have built up a good many professional contacts, and get to hear about these stories quite a bit. BUT this was mostly back in the late 1980's early 1990's, and as I have siad before PHASA have nailed most of these *******s into the floor and it is rare that you hear of these events now.

The estate in question was I believe advertsing Wild Boar hunts last year, they have a new manager I believe, this comes from a very reliable source of mine my advice keep well clear.
    PHASA have done a great job in ridding the market of these guys but their are a still few of them out there. It's become quite popular with Nyala these days as their demand (and cost) has skyrocketed in the past few years. I heard of a guy who bought a fantastic specimen at the annual KZN Wildlife auction (paid a fortune for it), had it delivered and promptly killed it for his trophy room. He just wanted the best he could find.

Sikamalc - i'm originally from South Africa - glad to hear you've been out there a few times and enjoyed our hunting.