Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: castrated

castrated

Hi,

I may be getting another teckel. It will be a male which will mean he'll have to loose his crown jewels. At what age is the earliest this can happen.

The dog rescue charities advocate early neutering - 12/16 weeks. Personally, I'd let him mature a bit and go for anytime after 6 months. No real evidence, just a general feeling.

Why is there any need at all?

i run a cocker and jack Russell and both are intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    The dog rescue charities advocate early neutering - 12/16 weeks. Personally, I'd let him mature a bit and go for anytime after 6 months. No real evidence, just a general feeling.

Cheers for that, I read simular but thought I'd ask on here. I was hoping to here a six month age as that is to early.

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    Why is there any need at all?

i run a cocker and jack Russell and both are intact.

Becuase he will be joining my other two female dacshunds who have all there bits and I don't want to breed.

Personally I let my dogs reach skeletal maturity and then only castrate if they wander or are overly amorous. I'm not a fan of early neutering unless a good reason exists

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Personally I let my dogs reach skeletal maturity and then only castrate if they wander or are overly amorous. I'm not a fan of early neutering unless a good reason exists
    At what age do you suggest.
    mine will be together not apart and when left alone I want to avoid the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    Becuase he will be joining my other two female dacshunds who have all there bits and I don't want to breed.
    Ah a better reason than I assumed. Serves me right.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

I have no idea if I'm right or wrong, but I have always waited until they are emotionally mature - grown up. With my Lab and Cocker it was done at 2, my Vizsla is looking more like 3. I was once told by a Vet I respect that when you chop them off the reduction in hormones produced tends to freeze their emotional development. Do it too early and they never really mature properly. Taken the advice with the last two and it seems to have worked well, but that's hardly scientific.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    At what age do you suggest.
    mine will be together not apart and when left alone I want to avoid the obvious.
    Skeletal maturity = around 12 months of age for all but giant breeds. You would need to separate them when she is in season. Vasectomy is another option that is less frequently performed