Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe/ fallow venison during the rut

Roe/ fallow venison during the rut

As a novice stalker, and one who shoots for the pot, this summer will be the first when I can get one or two roe bucks. Should I avoid shooting roe bucks during the rut? Will the venison taste different to usual? And the same goes for fallow bucks I would hope to get one or two this autumn, but don't know if I should avoid the rut. Any thoughts/ advice gratefully received.

Fallow, I'd avoid rutting bucks, although some don't mind the flavour.
    Roe seem ok to me in the rut

Roe can get a bit strong in the rut - nothing like fallow or red, but it's definitely noticable. But seems to just be the really dominant stand bucks (who I'd be a bit cautious about shooting anyway).

The littler sattelite bucks are fine. Perfect time to shoot last year's grown up fawns - they'll usually be very fat after a full spring of eating, and won't usually have burned off too much of it.

I have never tasted the difference in roe during the rut. I avoid fallow at that time as A. they don't eat much so bound to be 'run' and B. they stink!

I find a lot depends on the ages of the beasts. I would never eat an old buck or stag during the rut before or after.

I have found that if you have one that is a bit funky, the longer you can hang him in a controlled environment the better. I hung a big smelly fallow buck for 28 days last winter. Meat wasn't too strong or gamey at all, dense texture alright but that is to be expected. I processed the prime cuts and just minced the rest. As said above, a nice little spiker is preferred though

OK, many thanks.

And don't shoot them too early either - let them have a good feed and put on some body condition. This spring, especially in Scotland has been cold and grass growth is quite a way behind. They still quite skinny when I ve seen any.

Bigger Fallow are especially stinky! Roe to some extent, but never seem so bad. Game dealer is the best option for rutting bucks. Their bodies are full of extra hormones and they don't eat properly. Meat is allegedly tougher as well as stronger tasting. Also, don't eat the liver! The liver can turn almost yellow and stinks! Not even good for dog food. Best to let rutting bucks get on with rutting IMHO. If they need to be shot, then do it either before or well after when they have re-gained condition if you want the best meat.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by pazmino View Post
    As a novice stalker, and one who shoots for the pot, this summer will be the first when I can get one or two roe bucks. Should I avoid shooting roe bucks during the rut? Will the venison taste different to usual? And the same goes for fallow bucks – I would hope to get one or two this autumn, but don't know if I should avoid the rut. Any thoughts/ advice gratefully received.
    As far as Roe is concerned, the meat is fine, but the liver can be very strong/bitter.
    No experience with Fallow.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....