Thread: How many rounds .243

How many rounds .243

I have a .243 Sako 85 Hunter steel / Blue barrel
    How many rounds can I use before the gun needs a new barrel

I use RWS 100gr Soft points
    & Sako 100gr Soft points
    Both of the above are factory Loads

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by john the fox View Post
    I have a .243 Sako 85 Hunter steel / Blue barrel
    How many rounds can I use before the gun needs a new barrel

I use RWS 100gr Soft points
    & Sako 100gr Soft points
    Both of the above are factory Loads
    thousands

for some reason I have all the same questions when trying to sell my 243 ???? unless your a chain shooter it will out last you.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Agreed, my .243 Savage 99 has a very old barrel that still shoots well. It isn't an 'overbore' caliber so throat burn is minimal.

Depends a lot on how you use it. Going to the range and putting a box of ammo through it very quickly twice a week will wear it out quicker than going out and firing the odd shot at a deer or fox.

I'm afraid the 243 is very firmly in the barrel burner camp. Those that claim thousands of round over many years stalking miss the point. A rifle that shoots "minute of deer" could very well be shot out for target/long range purposes. Long range accuracy is usually the first indication of trouble. If you never go there then ignorance is bliss.

I don't have time to use it right now but a little applet is available that calculates an estimate of barrel life. So far it was right on the money for two 270 barrels and a 204 barrel.

Below a chart from Accurate shooter (I think) Overbore means harder on the throat and less accurate life.

Atb

Quote Originally Posted by achosenman View Post
    I'm afraid the 243 is very firmly in the barrel burner camp. Those that claim thousands of round over many years stalking miss the point. A rifle that shoots "minute of deer" could very well be shot out for target/long range purposes. Long range accuracy is usually the first indication of trouble. If you never go there then ignorance is bliss.

I don't have time to use it right now but a little applet is available that calculates an estimate of barrel life. So far it was right on the money for two 270 barrels and a 204 barrel.

Below a chart from Accurate shooter (I think) Overbore means harder on the throat and less accurate life.

Atb
    Is anyone stuffing 57 grains of powder in a 6.5x55 case and getting a round seated safely???
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Is anyone stuffing 57 grains of powder in a 6.5x55 case and getting a round seated safely???
    I think that's just grains of water (purely showing case capacity)

30,000 plus and still going strong.

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    30,000 plus and still going strong.
    ^^^

http://www.tikka.fi/tikka-old-models

"If you take good care of your Tikka rifle, there is no reason why it shouldn’t perform as well after twenty or fifty years later. They really tend to last from father to son."

It must be the biggest anxiety question in rifle sales.

Quote Originally Posted by achosenman View Post
    Those that claim thousands of round over many years stalking miss the point.
    A rifle that shoots "minute of deer" could very well be shot out for target/long range purposes.
    but as the OP is shooting 100gr SP's and not 105/115 VLD's he is still likely to be "hitting the mark" 1000's of rounds later without a care in the world about whether his rifle will be MOA at 1000yds