Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yank cars , fuel diesel vs petrol

Yank cars , fuel diesel vs petrol

Hi guys ,

Ok , I work in saudi , when we are in office or workshop we have a 2014 Chevy Tahoe , when out into desert for a job I have a GMC pick up
    Now we have not long (6months) had the Tahoe , a 5.3 litre V8 eco tech engine petrol.
    It's fantastic I was amazed at how smooth , refined the drive is & it can move .
    Here's the surprising bit ... Onboard puter, says its 9.3 litres per 100 km.
    We googled and reckon that's 30-31mpg on a drive at 65-70 mph motorway style driving ..... I was not expecting that!

Got me thinking with petrol motors getting better with fuel efficiency etc & the difference in price per litre between petrol & diesel .... How many miles must you be doing ( ball park) before diesel is the cheaper option ?

I would easily have this Tahoe back home to be honest it's discovery size motor , comfy etc etc .

Just got a surprise & it got me thinking.

By the way it costs around 14pence per litre of petrol here ......sickening

Paul

Also a diesel car usually attracts a more premium price compared to a similar spec and performance petrol option thereby increasing the time/distance needed to make any savings. A friend of mine recently bought a 1.4 turbo petrol over a 2.0 litre diesel for this reason.

You need to multiply your 9.3l/km by 2.35214583 to get MPG which is about 22mpg. We've just come back from the states and put 2000 miles on a new Tahoe and it showed 22mpg so this tallies. I totally agree with you on how good a car it is. I drive a disco 4 now and its bigger than that too.

I googled it
    And all the calculator are coming back with 9 l per 100 km = 31mpg

Big difference , real world of 10 mpg
    The Chevy website says 23 mpg so I wonder if that's US gallons as opposed to imperial ?

Certainly seeing a few more American cares about in UK , mainly smaller hatch back right enough ...

Back to UK tho, Anyone know or worked out rough figures / mileage you need to be doing to make diesel cheaper other petrol ?

I forgot to put it in earlier but m friend bought an Alfa Romeo Jullietta and was told 20k a year to make the diesel a more economical option over the 1.4 turbo petrol he went for.

US gallons on 80% of imperial ones.

David.

Probably too many variables to do an accurate "diesel is cheaper after X miles" comparison that works for all models, but for individual cars it'd be easy to work out using the manufacturers' fuel figures and an estimate of your mileage for the period you intend to own the car.
    So anticipated mileage mpg = gallons of fuel you need. Multiply that by the cost of a gallon and then add that figure to the purchase price of the car. If you really want accuracy find out the service schedule as well and price that in.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

US mpg turns out at around 25.29193548 give or take a few decimal places.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Probably too many variables to do an accurate "diesel is cheaper after X miles" comparison that works for all models, but for individual cars it'd be easy to work out using the manufacturers' fuel figures and an estimate of your mileage for the period you intend to own the car.
    So anticipated mileage mpg = gallons of fuel you need. Multiply that by the cost of a gallon and then add that figure to the purchase price of the car. If you really want accuracy find out the service schedule as well and price that in.

This ^^ is how I work it, including the scheduled servicing costs.

On the majority of vehicles I worked it out on (based on around 18,000 miles per year) the fuel costs were 200 - 400 different between a petrol and diesel. Factor in the typically higher servicing costs of the diesel and the much higher purchase price and, from a monetary perspective, the petrol cars come out on top overall.

In fact, on the vehicles I worked it out on, I couldn't come up with a reasonable mileage that made the difference in fuel costs significant enough to warrant attention so, on its own, cost for fuel became academic and other factors are far more important in overall term of ownership.

I have a 1995 Suburban with the same engine, which is the 350 cubic inch basic engine of the pickup trucks and muscle cars of the 1970s. It has 262,000 miles, burns no oil, no leaks, and gets 25 MPG on the highway. I cannot bear to trade it, after owning it almost 20 years.