Thread: Leica Geovid HD-B verses Geovid HD-R ( 8x42)

Leica Geovid HD-B verses Geovid HD-R ( 8x42)

Hi guys, with Leica range finding binoculars being offered at a discount at the moment, I am tempted to bite the bullet and possibly buy a pair. I have noticed that the new Leica Geovid HD-R model is several hundred pounds cheaper than the HD-B, is anybody aware of a comparison test between the two or has anyone had any experience of using the new Geovid HD-R model.

The HD-B always does well in comparison tests against Zeiss and Swarovski but I have yet to read about the new cheaper Geovid HD-R model.

One final point, I have read a few posts now with people preferring the image quality of the 10 mag over the 8 mag Geovid HD-B, does anybody know if there is a problem with the 8 magnification HD-B?

many thanks.
    Last edited by paultap; 05-06-2015 at 20:40.

I have the Geovid HD-R (8x42). They do all I need as I run my ballistics app on my phone. I've looked through them side by side with Swarovski on a dull damp winter's day and there's nothing optically to choose between them.

Regards JCS

Same thing but without the ballistics computer and environment sensors.. Still has the inclination sensor though so will give equivalent horizontal range but only to 600yds. Aluminium housing as opposed to magnesium (probably the biggest cost saving). as far as I can tell, same glass..
    Last edited by Vipa; 05-06-2015 at 17:37.

What vipa said though apparently there is a different prism set up in the HD-B what difference it makes and why I am not sure. The magnesium makes them slightly lighter.
    With the offer on why would you chose the cheaper ones there's only 100 in it and your saving 500 go for the best.
    I was using my HD-Bs last night on long range rabbits...awesome . No faffing about with phones/programmes/charts particularly if it is getting dingy and they don't always wait for you. You ping it do the clicks and fire simples. There is nothing like them out there.

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post
    What vipa said though apparently there is a different prism set up in the HD-B what difference it makes and why I am not sure. The magnesium makes them slightly lighter.
    With the offer on why would you chose the cheaper ones there's only 100 in it and your saving 500 go for the best.
    I was using my HD-Bs last night on long range rabbits...awesome . No faffing about with phones/programmes/charts particularly if it is getting dingy and they don't always wait for you. You ping it do the clicks and fire simples. There is nothing like them out there.

Many thanks for the advice, though using Uttings price as a guide the 8x42 Geovid HD-R is priced at 1259 compared to the Geovid HD-B at 1499 so even with the discount there's a 240 difference, unless anyone else is doing them at cheaper prices.

Quote Originally Posted by paultap View Post
    Many thanks for the advice, though using Uttings price as a guide the 8x42 Geovid HD-R is priced at 1259 compared to the Geovid HD-B at 1499 so even with the discount there's a 240 difference, unless anyone else is doing them at cheaper prices.
    Sportsman GC have put thier prices for the 8 x 42 HD-B at 1916. Making it 1416 thats the best I've found
    Last edited by liongeorge; 05-06-2015 at 21:36.

Of the two I would get the HD-B if the price is ok.

Just a quick one - the HD-R's and the HD-B's are exactly the same apart from the ballistic functionality.

Same housing material, same prisms and they both have the external environmental sensors for temp, angle and air pressure.

The HD-R's will only give an equivalent horizontal reading, depending on your angle of sight i.e the distance you SHOULD be using to find your aim point. The HD-B's will take this further and give you one of 3 different readings: a holdover value in inches or cm's, a click value or a ballistic reticle reading.