Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barnes ttsx data for .308

Barnes ttsx data for .308

I can find Barnes data for TSX and on the same page there is a recipe for tsx bt but is that TTSX? I can't find any specific data for TTSX in .308...... Help please this is for 150gr btw.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/files/2.../308WinWeb.pdf
    Last edited by deerstalker.308; 05-06-2015 at 17:52.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I can tell you that 45.0 gr of Varget or RL-15 under the 150-gr TSX, TTSX, Sierra GK, Hornday IL, and SST all shoot into the same small group out of several of my .308 Wins. That is the limit of my Barnes experience. I stopped working up loads for Barnes at 46.0 grs, and backed down to 45.0, as it shot just a little ragged hole.
    Winchester brass and Federal 210 Match primers.
    Last edited by Southern; 05-06-2015 at 22:14. Reason: brass and primers

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I can tell you that 45.0 gr of Varget or RL-15 under the 150-gr TSX, TTSX, Sierra GK, Hornday IL, and SST all shoot into the same small group out of several of my .308 Wins. That is the limit of my Barnes experience. I stopped working up loads for Barnes at 46.0 grs, and backed down to 45.0, as it shot just a little ragged hole.
    is is ok to assume to use the same load data for TTSX as for TSX? I've been recommended BLC2 but the only data is for TSX......

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    is is ok to assume to use the same load data for TTSX as for TSX? I've been recommended BLC2 but the only data is for TSX......
    I don't have enough experience with Barnes to know, but in talking to a Barnes rep, he said that for the same bullet weights, the load data is the same. Barnes has been playing with the shanks and cannelures for a while, and sometimes the TSX had 4 and the TTSX had 3, but they are trying to make them the same for both bullet styles in a given caliber and weight, to make friction and pressure the same.

I would think that is true for the lighter bullets, and while the loads are not so close to maximum, because the TTSX of the same weight may be a bit longer than the TSX, so when you get into a full case or a compressed load, there is less capacity with the TTSX, and especially 165 and heavier.

I just have a good feel for Varget, RL-15, 4895, 4064 and W-748 in the .308 Win, so I started with 44.0 grains, and 0.5 grain jumps. I only shot the 46.0 gr load because I had it made, and it shot well, too.

I load .308 130g TTSX and use the TSX data from the Barnes reloading manual as they recommend.

Technical Load data | Barnes Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Sako308 View Post
    I load .308 130g TTSX and use the TSX data from the Barnes reloading manual as they recommend.

most helpful, thank you for that!

And of course, starting load data for any 30 caliber bullet of the same weight would be appropriate.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    And of course, starting load data for any 30 caliber bullet of the same weight would be appropriate.~Muir
    Is that the case? Every day is a school day, I'd never like to assume when reloading, good to get advice from experienced folk. Much appreciated.

Does anybody have a source of 130grain TTSX for .308W they would care to share?

Reloading Solutions have had them on back order for me since early March...

Alan

Barnes recommend using the same data for TSX, TTSX and MRX. Its on their web page for 'Technical Load Data' under the heading Load Data just above the options to select bullet sizes.

How's your end of the gene pool today?