Thread: skull mount preparation.....assistance in West Berks

skull mount preparation.....assistance in West Berks

A friend is relocating to NZ and yesterday he grassed what may be his last Roe buck.

I would like to get it mounted fo him but not being a trophy hunter at all I have no kit for this or experience.

As this is quite a special mount, are their any experienced folk on TSD that would be willing to help.

As NZ is very Proactive at defending its biodiversity I also had in mind a couple of walking sticks....sort of his and hers......in case a head mount may be tricky to ship into NZ.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks.....DD

Are you talking about just preparing the skull, or are you talking taxidermy if the later that's a real skill and you need to find a professional, some one on here will be able to put you in touch with one in your area, don't expect it to be cheap.

If its just the skull you want prepared there is no reason why you can't do it yourself it's not difficult, just takes a little time, if you need guidance just do a search on here there are a few posts detailing how it's done.
    there is even a video on here think it was by Jelen that covers it very well.

+1
    the jelen video (in three parts) is very good!

Quote Originally Posted by deerly departed View Post
    A friend is relocating to NZ and yesterday he grassed what may be his last Roe buck.

I would like to get it mounted fo him but not being a trophy hunter at all I have no kit for this or experience.

As this is quite a special mount, are their any experienced folk on TSD that would be willing to help.

As NZ is very Proactive at defending its biodiversity I also had in mind a couple of walking sticks....sort of his and hers......in case a head mount may be tricky to ship into NZ.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks.....DD
    Your friend will not get that head into the country. Its the same with Canada as NZ . Any animal bone that cannot be proven to be sterile by certification will be seized.
    You can always check with boarder control and customs NZ as you may be dissapointed in the long run.

Had a friend who shot a medal muntjac with me and took it back to New Zealand. He had to leave it with the authority's at the airport and they had it treated and he then picked it up and payed for the treatment. It was then OK to take home. Cost about 100NZ.

That kind of cocks that idea then.

There is Biodiversity security...............
    And then there is New Zealand :-)

Here is a post from a kiwi (on a NZ hunting site) who shot a bunch of roe and munties and took a suitcase full of skulls back to NZ.

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Another year ticks by

I don't know the "ins and outs" of it all - but I'm sure if you joined the forum and asked then someone there will put you right.
    Good luck
    Hayden

Sister and her family moved to NZ a few years ago, they are farmers. They were not allowed to take shepherds crooks in because of the horn. Trophies will be the same. The NZ biosecurity is very very tight, we visited my sister and were open about coming from the country. We had a nice hour in Aukland airport whilst the authorities went through every bag and case we had. Very thorough, nothing was missed. The soles of shoes were checked to make sure we were not bringing in any soil or dirt.