Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Piccatinney/Weaver Rails

Question Piccatinney/Weaver Rails

Hi all,

Im currently thinking about a new rifle. Looking very hard at the Remington 700 SPS Synth/Stain in 7mm-08, as Howa dont do a 7mm-08 (the swines!) this will replace the .243 I have atm. I think Im going to modify the gun along the way, as and when I can afford.

I've seen/heard a fair bit of these rails, but dont really know why they are better than the normal setup. If they offer a considerable advantage I shall get one. If some knowledgable chap could tell me more I would be ratgher grateful.

I'm going to put a S&B 8x56 on it, with a 1" tube (dont know if that makes a difference). The scope is sitting on said .243 at the moment, in Warne rings - Ideally I would take these onto the new setup, would this be possible on a rail?

So in short :-
    Why is a rail worth it?
    Which one do I get?
    Where do I buy it?

Thanks Chaps

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Hi all,

Im currently thinking about a new rifle. Looking very hard at the Remington 700 SPS Synth/Stain in 7mm-08, as Howa dont do a 7mm-08 (the swines!) this will replace the .243 I have atm. I think Im going to modify the gun along the way, as and when I can afford.

I've seen/heard a fair bit of these rails, but dont really know why they are better than the normal setup. If they offer a considerable advantage I shall get one. If some knowledgable chap could tell me more I would be ratgher grateful.

I'm going to put a S&B 8x56 on it, with a 1" tube (dont know if that makes a difference). The scope is sitting on said .243 at the moment, in Warne rings - Ideally I would take these onto the new setup, would this be possible on a rail?

So in short :-
    Why is a rail worth it?
    Which one do I get?
    Where do I buy it?

Thanks Chaps

Sam
    Sam -
    Unless your current Warne rings have a Picatinny base, no, you can't transfer them (to a Picatinny rail).

Why would you want a Picatinny rail?: You might be seduced by the ability to move your scope further forward - more eye relief - than with standard mounts. You might think the extra rigidity it imparts to the action is desirable.

Midway UK do a fair range, but home-bred suppliers like JLK and Optics Whorehouse do them at a good price too.

I am not knowledgeable. Check with a responsible adult too.
    KevinF -

Thanks Kevin.

If thats the advantage of a rail I'm not that bothered!

atb

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Hi Sam,
    what 243 rifle do you have at the moment. Sometimes it is cheaper to get a rifle rebarreled 243 to 7-08.
    No mounts need to be changed and so on.
    My friend had bought a 22-250 howa from me and decided to only deer shoot, last Friday he had the
    barrel changed to a 308. Done in a day. He got a brand new 308 take off howa barrel and the smith
    re chambered it to be sure. Tomorrow we'll zero and test.

On the other hand the Remmies seem to be better now than they were a few years ago. I can't complain
    about the 243 sporter I bought last year. Maybe I was lucky.

Rails..
    I put them on all my rifles.
    Now at least I can switch scopes between rifles much easier.
    I have had enough of horridly heavy optilocks. I can now pick up a
    bucket full of mounts in all sizes for a song when I'm in the states.
    Mounts stay on the scopes now.

edi

Sam,
    People ask me this most days.
    I will not fit twin mounts and bases, unless absolutely forced to , by the customers choice, or price constraints.
    There are a lot of two piece bases for remmy,s out there. The absolute worst are the leupold ones. I can guarantee you, after they have been on the gun for a couple of months, that sees a little weather, they will be siezed on solid. If i had a quid for every one i,ve had to drill out, i,d be rich. They are rarely of such quality that they line up, thus stressing the scope, plus you have four points of error , to try and line up, rather than the two outer screws of a one piece rail.
    A one piece rail, rarely siezes on for some reason, the major benefit is that it stiffens an action that already has two large holes in it. Ie the loading port and mag well.
    It also means that picatinney/weaver rings are used, which is the most solid, and reliable mounting system in use. If you use quick release rings, you can also take the scope on and off, with the rifle usually returning to within an inch of zero.
    I wouldn,t have two piece rails given.....at any price.

I have never drilled out a two piece base that was properly installed. In fact, just for fun I cruised some of the sites of the top accuracy gunsmiths in the US and there were plenty of two piece bases to be found on the rifles in their galleries. Additionally, a picatinney rail has little practical application on most hunting rifles (This is a stalking site, right?) as it interferes with loading, ejection, and otherwise easy access to the chamber.~Muir

There are two piece bases, and two piece bases my friend. The ones that most stalkers use are garbage, because they wont pay for a decent quality rail. The two piece bases used by the accuracy nuts in the states, are benchrest quality parts....a far cry from the rubbish we see here.
    I recommend and fit, picatinney/weaver one piece bases, because they are a genuine aid to an accurate rifle, if stalkers dont need an accurate rifle then fine.
    One piece rails of the correct type do not hinder loading, or ejection.
    I,m not a stalker, i,m a gunsmith that just builds rifles. I,ve tried to pass on my experience to a guy that asked, based on day to day work on rifles.
    If two piece rails were so good, people like surgeon would not build one piece rails into their actions.

Jesus Lord! Surgeon? Really??
    It's a marvel how any deer ever got killed before the advent of hand-fitted picatinney rails, fitted to inaccurate rifles, which made them, then, accurate.

Look Baldie. I'm not saying you're wrong about the value of these rails but I think they're a little much on the average, off the rack stalking rifle and will do little to enhance their practical field accuracy. Now for the guys who would have you build a ground-up rifle for them, I'm sure the addition of this rail would be a boon to accuracy. This base thing is all my opinion of course, and the board members are free to weigh the value of this mounting system for themselves. Most people -especially the newcomers- are so frantic about the possibility of losing any particle of presumed accuracy that they will probably side with you. You're a gunsmith who fits these rails. I'm just a hick.~Muir

Sam, would you like to try a few through my Howa 7mm WSM?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!