Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fallen tree

Fallen tree

A tree in a near by wood fell victim to the recent high winds. This morning I was up early with my dog and a bow saw in hand to capitalise on the bounty. Once the tree limbs were cut to manageable lengths, I set off with some of them on my shoulder back home. Three trips later the logs lay in my garden and a cup of tea was in order.
    Attachment 57599

Once refreshed I set about the task of cutting the lengths down to wood burner size. Rather than firing up the chainsaw, I decided to cut by hand with the trusty bow saw. Not the biggest log pile in the world but it all tops up the wood store. There is still another two thirds of the tree left in the wood which will be extracted over the coming week or so.

Attachment 57600

Is it just me or do others get a satisfactory feeling from doing a task by hand rather than taking the easy option, in this case jumping in the 4x4 with my chainsaw?

ATB 243 Stalker.

All good, good work, presuming you have permission to take said firewood.......
    I only say this as it does my head in when people come and nick the timber from sites I manage!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by 243 Stalker View Post
    A tree in a near by wood fell victim to the recent high winds. This morning I was up early with my dog and a bow saw in hand to capitalise on the bounty. Once the tree limbs were cut to manageable lengths, I set off with some of them on my shoulder back home. Three trips later the logs lay in my garden and a cup of tea was in order.
    Attachment 57599

Once refreshed I set about the task of cutting the lengths down to wood burner size. Rather than firing up the chainsaw, I decided to cut by hand with the trusty bow saw. Not the biggest log pile in the world but it all tops up the wood store. There is still another two thirds of the tree left in the wood which will be extracted over the coming week or so.

Attachment 57600

Is it just me or do others get a satisfactory feeling from doing a task by hand rather than taking the easy option, in this case jumping in the 4x4 with my chainsaw?

ATB 243 Stalker.
    Much respect for all the hard work ... But why ? I would never ever walk past a chainsaw to reach for a bow saw !!

Regards

Ed

All very virtuous, but I prefer the Stihl and the 1960 Dexta with the belt driven disk saw on the back....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

DS.308,

Yes I do have permission, its on a farm 500m from my house where I manage the pigeon population. The farmers ok with me taking the wood as long as the tree has fallen due to nature, I am not allowed to fell any trees.

ATB 243 Stalker

Ed & CD

I must be sadistic or on reflection looking at my hands stupid!
    It seemed a good idea at the time but as most of the tree is still in the wood I think the chainsaw will certainly be venturing out.

ATB 243 Stalker

DS.308,

Yes I do have permission, its on a farm 500m from my house where I manage the pigeon population. The farmers ok with me taking the wood as long as the tree has fallen due to nature, I am not allowed to fell any trees.

ATB 243 Stalker
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Reminds me of the adage, warms you twice, once when you cut it (with the Bowsaw, and the second time when you burn it!)
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Attachment 57599

Attachment 57600

ATB 243 Stalker.
    Yes I agree a good session on timber is very rewarding
    I recon we've burnt 20 ton plus this winter so I'll be sticking to the chainsaws
    regards pete

Jeeze are you stocking a furnace wae 20t rather than a wood burner, Lol.

M