Re insert barrels for combination guns

Bavarianbrit

I have just fitted a Keller & Simmann stainless full length insert barrel in cal .22 hornet in my drillings right side 16G barrel and have adjusted the muzzles 4x front hex screws to be central to the scope crosshairs by using my Bushnell colliminator so I will test shoot it during the week ahead and report back.
The unit cost me only 190euros used on egun compared to 998euros on their website.
In Germany you do not have to enter it on any paperwork
Martin

Good to hear. I was just thinking today of possibly buying a .38 Special insert for the 20-gauge barrel on my combination gun.

So let us know how yours works for you.

Fantastic!

I was looking covetously at a Bockdrilling the other day, and thinking: hmmm, do I really want to give up one 16g barrel?

An insert barrel would obviously be the answer but it hadn't occurred to me that they might be available at such good prices on eGun.

Presumably you need to get one that matches the length of your barrel, but otherwise how make/model-specific are they?

I had a Merkel O/U 5 x 57r x 12g and an 'einstecklauf' in .22magnum that could be inserted in the 12g barrel if needed.
It was only 12" long but reasonably accurate at 'short' ranges, about a 2" square was it's best.
I felt it was more for despatching trapped or wounded animals than for hunting.
As Martin said they were non accountable when over there but it was not worth the paperwork for UK so got rid on coming home.

adjusted the muzzles 4x front hex screws to be central to the scope crosshairs by using my Bushnell colliminator
Interesting. I've never used an insert-barrel, but might adjusting by boresighting at 100yds give a better approximation of zero than the collimator at the muzzle?

In Germany you do not have to enter it on any paperwork

That's interesting.

Martin, is it an uncontrolled item then? If so, then getting one over to the UK might be a relatively easy process given that we do not now require import licensing here - provided you have a spare slot on your FAC.

Maybe, I do not do that method but in my experience the collimator tool works quite well.
Martin
But in this case the collimator gave me a false reading as I was not hitting the cardboard box at all but then the bulb lit up to me as the bore is offset to the right of the scopes line of sight so I aimed then at the boxes left edge and hit near the centre at correct height so I then did the muzzle readjusting and in 7 shots at 50m I am now printing central but 2.25 inches high, so the next step is to check out the ballistic drop tables for RWS ammo and see where the thing actually shoots to point of aim (maybe 140m).
Martin

That's interesting.

Martin, is it an uncontrolled item then? If so, then getting one over to the UK might be a relatively easy process given that we do not now require import licensing here - provided you have a spare slot on your FAC.
I still have 3x .22mag units just sitting here in my spares box. I took some over to the USA and got $300 a piece for them from the German gun collectors association table at the Baltimore antique gun show in 2010.
Martin

Back