Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Blaser r93

Smile Blaser r93

Morning guys,

got my variation back for a 6.5x55 and I'm really tempted to go for an r93 as there seem to be some bargains on guntrader. Can anyone explain to me though how it works when you buy one new? I'm assuming the dearest price includes the mounts but there are some that are a lot cheaper so what am I missing here.

The ones on guntrader secondhand don't say if they come with mounts or not. Can you only use blaser mounts? If anyone can do me a quick idiots guide with pros and cons for the r93 id really appreciate it.

cheers Dave

The pros and cons seem to be that some people love them while others seem to hate them so it would be worth giving one a try before you buy.

I have an R93 in 308 and it is a fantastic tool for the job in the sense that it is reliable, shoots all ammo better than I can, is weather proof, is easy to clean and dry after a wet day out and so on. Basically it is an extremely practical bit of engineering that just does what it says it will do. You'll not be spending your life looking for ammo that it shoots well or worrying about a little rain etc. On the other hand some people don't adapt well to the straight pull and they are not exactly an attractive rifle.

There are mounts other than the Blaser ones and I know the Blaser ones are expensive but they do work very well indeed, one of the best groups I ever shot I took the rifle apart several times (just for fun) during the process including removing the scope from the barrel, so I'm confident that you can take the scope off, and take the rifle apart, with no change in where you hit the target. For me that's worth paying a little bit more for.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    The pros and cons seem to be that some people love them while others seem to hate them so it would be worth giving one a try before you buy.

I have an R93 in 308 and it is a fantastic tool for the job in the sense that it is reliable, shoots all ammo better than I can, is weather proof, is easy to clean and dry after a wet day out and so on. Basically it is an extremely practical bit of engineering that just does what it says it will do. You'll not be spending your life looking for ammo that it shoots well or worrying about a little rain etc. On the other hand some people don't adapt well to the straight pull and they are not exactly an attractive rifle.

There are mounts other than the Blaser ones and I know the Blaser ones are expensive but they do work very well indeed, one of the best groups I ever shot I took the rifle apart several times (just for fun) during the process including removing the scope from the barrel, so I'm confident that you can take the scope off, and take the rifle apart, with no change in where you hit the target. For me that's worth paying a little bit more for.
    I've only used bolt actions before so I will be trying one before I commit to buying one that's for sure. What attracts me to them is that I'm a big fan of engineering and like you say it's very well designed and engineered for what it does. I know they're not the prettiest of rifles but I view them more as tools, I've had expensive shotguns with fancy wood and when they get scratched I'm gutted so prefer something more rugged. I'll have a look for some different or second hand mounts and see what's about

Quote Originally Posted by DavidO_84 View Post
    I know they're not the prettiest of rifles but I view them more as tools,
    That is my position. In a sense I'm not interested in guns at all, they are simply a tool to get me out and about stalking, so that is why I bought the Blaser as I only have one rifle and probably will only ever have one rifle as it simply does the job with the least fuss possible.

For a while there were quite a few second hand mounts coming up in the classifieds on here and that would save you a few quid. I can't comment on the repeatability of the "3rd party" mounts but a company called MAK certainly make them. It is hard shelling out the sort of money that would buy you a decent rifle on the Blaser mounts so I can fully understand why you might be reluctant to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    That is my position. In a sense I'm not interested in guns at all, they are simply a tool to get me out and about stalking, so that is why I bought the Blaser as I only have one rifle and probably will only ever have one rifle as it simply does the job with the least fuss possible.
    I'm the same, I sold three sako's and one tikka and bought my first blaser and a multitude of barrels years ago.
    I have never looked back and have never regreted that decision.
    Their are many advantages but the ones that really appeal to me is the simplicity of cleaning.
    It's a piece of cake to strip it down and clean.
    I have even hosed mine when it's been utterly filthy and covered in red dust.

They other thing I find very useful is that I shoot everything from rabbits to buff with the same rifle. You get very familiar with that gun, trigger characteristics, magazine removal, decocker operation, balance in the hands, open sights etc.
    You would be amazed at how well you handle and operate your deer rifle if you regularly shoot rabbits with it.
    I mainly use barrels in 223, 7x64, and 9.3x62. That covers everything for me.

Personally I would only buy the Blaser mounts as I know they hold perfect repeatable zero every time you remove them and reattach. Yes they are expensive but they work.

I would be surprised that if you shop around you won't be able to find a second hand including the mounts, most decent dealers should knock a nice bit off if your buying new. When I bought mine 5 yrs ago the dealer gave them foc but I'm in Ireland. Wouldn't look beyond blaser factory mounts and rings so simple but effective .

if money is tight i have some Apel blaser mounts here that take standard Sako optilock or apel rings so if you have rings it may save you some money.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Cheers for all your advice guys it's been very helpful, I've found one and put a deposit down and picking up this weekend. As a bonus it comes with some 30mm blaser mounts as well but....my swaro scope has a 1" tube, so was planning to put them on here to see if anyone would swap for a set of inch ones if they have a spare set.

CWMMAN3738 thank you for the offer I may take you up on that as after shelling out a small fortune for the rifle money will be very tight for a while

Quote Originally Posted by DavidO_84 View Post
    I've found one and put a deposit down and picking up this weekend. As a bonus it comes with some 30mm blaser mounts as well but....my swaro scope has a 1" tube, so was planning to put them on here to see if anyone would swap for a set of inch ones if they have a spare set.
    I hope you will get a lot of enjoyment out of the new rifle and that it will work well for you, and I'm sure it will.

People always seem to be upgrading scopes and 30mm tubes have recently become quite the thing so I'm sure it will not be too hard to find someone looking to swap their 1 inch rings for some 30mm ones so it is well worth a punt.