Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help required with safe 9.3x62 load?

Help required with safe 9.3x62 load?

Guys
    I am lookingfor some guidance/insight;
    I am workingup a load for my Blaser R8 9.3x62.
    My ideal isto have 1,800fps (min expansion vel) remaining @ 400m which needs 2,510fps @ muzzle.
    But now @ 58.1grI have crept past both Nosler (57.0gr) and Vihtavouri (57.6gr) published max.
    Now at 2,457fps Ihave not reached eithers suggested velocities; Nosler - 2,524fps, Viht 2,493fps.
    Starting at56gr I have seen absolutely no signs of pressure.
    Velocity isstill rising, albeit erratically.Accuracy remains extremely good.
    The rifle isa Blaser R8 with standard 23, 1 in 14twist barrel.
    Im using excinema DAG brass, Nosler 250gr Accubond bullets & Viht 140 powder.
    Cases are61.8mm.Seating to the bullet cannulawith mild crimp gives OAL of 82mm.
    Can I keep going?Will I see classic warning pressure signs froma Blaser design?Have I already gone toofar and need to go back?
    Any guidance appreciated.
    Qwerty

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty2008 View Post
    Guys
    I am lookingfor some guidance/insight;
    I am workingup a load for my Blaser R8 9.3x62.
    My ideal isto have 1,800fps (min expansion vel) remaining @ 400m which needs 2,510fps @ muzzle.
    But now @ 58.1grI have crept past both Nosler (57.0gr) and Vihtavouri (57.6gr) published max.
    Now at 2,457fps Ihave not reached eithers suggested velocities; Nosler - 2,524fps, Viht 2,493fps.
    Starting at56gr I have seen absolutely no signs of pressure.
    Velocity isstill rising, albeit erratically.Accuracy remains extremely good.
    The rifle isa Blaser R8 with standard 23, 1 in 14twist barrel.
    Im using excinema DAG brass, Nosler 250gr Accubond bullets & Viht 140 powder.
    Cases are61.8mm.Seating to the bullet cannulawith mild crimp gives OAL of 82mm.
    Can I keep going?Will I see classic warning pressure signs froma Blaser design?Have I already gone toofar and need to go back?
    Any guidance appreciated.
    Qwerty
    Pressure signs often, aren't. Or don't happen til you've pierced a primer. I won't ask why you need 1800 fps at 400 yards but I had a look at Hodgdon's data and they top off at 56K pressures at 2450 fps. I have never seen VV list pressures, and I don't think Nosler does does, either.
    I would be inclined to let that velocity goal go by.~Muir

Sounds like you need a longer barrel.
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

What Viht are you using?
    I have to say that pushing for high velocity in a 9,3 is not a sensible option. They are are close range calibre after all.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    What Viht are you using?
    I have to say that pushing for high velocity in a 9,3 is not a sensible option. They are are close range calibre after all.
    Certainly not only a close range calibre!

time for a lap mag mate to make that kind of stuff smooth!

Thanks guys for your comments.
    Does anyone have any experience of high pressure signs in a Blaser mechanism?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul at Fechan View Post
    time for a lap mag mate to make that kind of stuff smooth!
    Or .338 WM should do something to get expansion. COuld you try the monometals in 9.3x62?
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

I want to keep my 9.3. I've shot this calibre for several years but now that I have a bullet drop comp scope I realise that I could use it for everything, if I can make it out to my limit of 400m?
    I see plenty on the internet that suggests I should be able to reach 2,500fps muzzle but so far not getting there with current powder etc any reason the max data I read is too low for my rifle/hand load combo? I have no classic signs of over pressure?

My factory load of 285 grain bullet is averaging 2320fps out of a 50cm barrel. Did you mention your bullet weight?