Bitten by a dog on footpath

Me mam has two Great Danes and has had several in the past. Her partner has also had a few and they go to meets where there are upwards of 20 of them there.
My experience has been that they are placid (although occasionally bouncy) dogs with not a hint of malice.
The only reason that it would think you were gonna hurt it with the stick is because the stupid cow obviously 'trained' it that way.
Zero control on either dog and giving them bad traits through beating them.

Because of her actions you could (with good reason) get the dog put down. What a C U Next Tuesday

It's a shame that you didn't think of getting your phone out at the time to get a photo of her and her dogs. (To be honest I'm not sure that I or many others would have thought of it either) As some have already said YOU NEED TO REPORT IT! - If you don't who knows? - Next time it could be a child carrying a fishing rod or an elderly person or rambler with a walking stick that gets very badly injured. The fact that she didn't seem to be very concerned at all about her dog biting/attacking someone suggests that she is a very irresponsible dog owner!

It was perhaps unwise to get between the woman and her dogs. She is to blame for not having the dogs under close control. Her being on the phone meant she was not. If I was in that situation and I needed to get by, I would have called to the woman to have the dogs put on the lead so that you might be able to pass. And in passing I would have then advised her that her dogs need to be under control and that means she should be paying attention and not be on the phone.

I always assume that the dogs are going to unpredictable, especially so when more than one.

It is better to be safe than sorry, even if you are the innocent bystander (soon to be victim).

Danes are a big dog. Two came lolloping up to me when I was out walking with my dog who was a junior at that time. One playful whack across the back of my dog with those big legs and my dog would have been paralysed, so I asked the owner to put them on the lead. He said they were just pups themselves and just wanted to play.

I said I decide not the dogs and he eventually relented and took the dogs off.

It pays to be the one taking control of the situation.

Reminds me of my motorcycle test, taken in Preston in the '70's. At the time, the tester would set you off on a circular or figure of eight route and walk around observing. Each time I passed the back of some terraced houses, a terrier would rush out at me, barking and trying to bite me or the motorcycle. It was quite disconcerting. For the third time of asking, I looked to ensure nobody was looking and gave the mutt a kick in the chops with the size 9 boot. Cue wailing and scampering off. It didn't do it on the next pass. Fast forward to the end of the test and the examiner told me I had passed and incidentally he was impressed with the way I dealt with the dog hazard.

But I digress. Yes, with hyindsight, you should have recorded on your 'phone the woman, her dogs and the injury, then consider calling the cops. If you want to consider doing it still, I would get some health care professional to look at the wound (if not casualty, your doctors to ensure it's okay and your shots are up to date, but really to have it logged), then frequent the area and there's a good bet that the woman and dogs will reappear.

It was perhaps unwise to get between the woman and her dogs. I would have called to the woman to have the dogs put on the lead so that you might be able to pass.
It pays to be the one taking control of the situation.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
When I see a dog loose I automatically assume that it is a friendly beast (otherwise it would obviously be kept on a lead!)
I use this path regularly and I've never seen the woman/dogs before. With such distinctive dogs I'd remember if I had. Her accent, peculiar clothing and lack of common sense led me to believe that she was very much "on holiday in the countryside"
I'll go and report it at the police station (another two hours I won't get back) but I can't imagine for one minute that they'll give a toss

My humble opinion Buckaroo8, is that it was your duty to have reported it at the time?
Your duty of care? To the rest of society?

We often criticize the Police but if they don't know they can't act, if they know and don't act that's another scenario?

A child might not have been so lucky?

It has been reported.
Old Man, do you expect that if I had limped back to the car park and telephoned the police within 30mins they would have leapt into their squad cars and raced to the scene of the crime to apprehend the woman and dogs? Do you think that if they had done, the woman would still be there just waiting for them? I don't know who the woman was and I damn sure wasn't going to start arguing with her to get her details when she's attempting to restrain a dog the size of a small horse.
She didn't think that she/the dog had done any wrong and she tried to make out that it was my fault for threatening her dog with a stick! I can well imagine that if the police had arrived at the scene she'd have fabricated some bizarre version of events, like: "this weird looking skin-head bloke was following me and tried to creep up on me with a knife and it was so lucky I had good old Marmaduke here to save the day! you should lock that maniac pervert up, he's obviously dangerous!!"

It has been reported.
Old Man, do you expect that if I had limped back to the car park and telephoned the police within 30mins they would have leapt into their squad cars and raced to the scene of the crime to apprehend the woman and dogs? Do you think that if they had done, the woman would still be there just waiting for them? I don't know who the woman was and I damn sure wasn't going to start arguing with her to get her details when she's attempting to restrain a dog the size of a small horse.
She didn't think that she/the dog had done any wrong and she tried to make out that it was my fault for threatening her dog with a stick! I can well imagine that if the police had arrived at the scene she'd have fabricated some bizarre version of events, like: "this weird looking skin-head bloke was following me and tried to creep up on me with a knife and it was so lucky I had good old Marmaduke here to save the day! you should lock that maniac pervert up, he's obviously dangerous!!"

Well ............... we have only heard one side of the story :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't help it :rofl:

Reminds me of my motorcycle test, taken in Preston in the '70's. At the time, the tester would set you off on a circular or figure of eight route and walk around observing. Each time I passed the back of some terraced houses, a terrier would rush out at me, barking and trying to bite me or the motorcycle. It was quite disconcerting. For the third time of asking, I looked to ensure nobody was looking and gave the mutt a kick in the chops with the size 9 boot. Cue wailing and scampering off. It didn't do it on the next pass. Fast forward to the end of the test and the examiner told me I had passed and incidentally he was impressed with the way I dealt with the dog hazard.

LOL it made me smile.

Once walking back from the shops with a Christmas turkey in a rucksack I was walking down the alleyway when a Staffordshire bull terrier came the other way running and looking pretty nasty. I got myself in balance and timed it spot on to kick it in the chops for which it did a pleasant backward roll. It jumped up and thought about a repeat attack (maybe it was after the turkey!) but I was ready and waiting now that I knew the rules of the game (and that is the important point, knowing BEFORE the dog strikes that the gloves are off). Before I could get a second boot in the owner came running down apologising. I told him that it could have mauled a child (we were next to a playground) and he apologised profusely so I went on my way. Once home I had an old patterdale terrier and he was most interested in my right trainer which must have had invisible spit on it.

Mobile phones and cameras are now the way forward it is just having the presence of mind especially if hurt.

It has been reported.

Pleased you did the right thing but that information wasn't in previous posts? Was it? Maybe I need Specsavers?

You could be right about how she would have fabricated the situation to her advantage? The main thing is it is now a recorded statistic?

As my former profession used to bring me into contact with many potentially aggressive dogs, I always found that they didn't like it at all when you attack first. And yes, this is based on the fact that as a child of 8 I was attacked by .......a Great Dane. I was lucky that time that my father, a former miner, was a tough nut and he beat the dog up !
I would rather face an angry owner than the dog bite me, so I watch carefully and decide early which way it's going to go. That also includes lifting my heels high behind me when walking along being followed by a Border Collie - those buggers do like a crafty nip.
And, I love dogs too, and have not been without one for over 40 years.
Mans best friend doesn't mean it's your best friend - particularly when it's up to the gums on your leg.

Many moons ago (before your bike test even) I walked to secondary school on a route that saw a steep hill down to a bridge over a burn followed by an equally steep climb up the other side. Most mornings as I climbed the uphill bit I'd hear the wasp in a jamjar scream of a lad not much older than me riding a moped to work. To get up the far hill, it was a case of throttle to the stops on the downhill bit and even then he had to provide pedal assistance for the final uphill 100 yards as he slowed to 5mph or so.

A large mongrel used to lie in wait for this poor fellow around half way up the hill and rushed out of a front garden in pursuit as he passed. Initially the moped was faster but as it slowed to a crawl the dog caught him up and the rider would provide much entertainment (to others anyway) as he tried to pedal and kick the dog and stay on the bike (while shouting F*ck off! and suchlike) until he got speed up again. I'd pass the animal on the pavement as it returned home and it was never aggressive - he just wanted to chase people on two wheels it seemed.

This went on for months until the commuter got a Honda CB72 250 twin. The dog still rushed out every day after its quarry but had no chance now.

Many moons ago (before your bike test even) I walked to secondary school on a route that saw a steep hill down to a bridge over a burn followed by an equally steep climb up the other side. Most mornings as I climbed the uphill bit I'd hear the wasp in a jamjar scream of a lad not much older than me riding a moped to work. To get up the far hill, it was a case of throttle to the stops on the downhill bit and even then he had to provide pedal assistance for the final uphill 100 yards as he slowed to 5mph or so.

A large mongrel used to lie in wait for this poor fellow around half way up the hill and rushed out of a front garden in pursuit as he passed. Initially the moped was faster but as it slowed to a crawl the dog caught him up and the rider would provide much entertainment (to others anyway) as he tried to pedal and kick the dog and stay on the bike (while shouting F*ck off! and suchlike) until he got speed up again. I'd pass the animal on the pavement as it returned home and it was never aggressive - he just wanted to chase people on two wheels it seemed.

This went on for months until the commuter got a Honda CB72 250 twin. The dog still rushed out every day after its quarry but had no chance now.

This has made me chuckle a tad, same kind of thing happened to some lad that I used to go school with, but it was a sharp corner that he had to slow down for then the farm collie would be out after him,

Was sat last night with a dog owner with some type of terrier on a retractable lead. He would allow it the range of the lead. It was all over the place. He went to the toilet and handed me the lead.

Now, short lead and the dog would launch itself off as usual. No length given. Bright dog only tried twice, looked at me and then just laid down at my feet.

Owner came back and I didn't give the lead back. Dog tried to move but then looked at me and went back to my feet.

After twenty minutes the owner remarked how much HIS dog liked me, he couldn't get it to be so patient.....

Stan :doh:

Was sat last night with a dog owner with some type of terrier on a retractable lead. He would allow it the range of the lead. It was all over the place. He went to the toilet and handed me the lead.

Now, short lead and the dog would launch itself off as usual. No length given. Bright dog only tried twice, looked at me and then just laid down at my feet.

Owner came back and I didn't give the lead back. Dog tried to move but then looked at me and went back to my feet.

After twenty minutes the owner remarked how much HIS dog liked me, he couldn't get it to be so patient.....

Stan :doh:

Hint: Try the owner on a fixed length short lead?

I got bitten by a pair of rottweillers on a public foot path while going stalking, first it was my fault as my coat smelt like deer then her husband offered me his sandwich out of his packed lunch as an apology.

Back