Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Deer Dog - Breed advice

First Deer Dog - Breed advice

Sure this thread has been covered before but ill give you my situation and see if you lads can give me some advice.

Thinking of getting a dog that I can take out stalking. I want it almost exclusively for deer work (not for feathered game etc), I like the idea of a dog that helps me locate live deer via air scent and also is useful when locating downed deer that have ran.

I am really keen on a German Wire haired pointer but iv read they don't like being left alone and can be destructive and bark etc this isn't acceptable as I have neighbours. I know theres a huge variation between lines so if thats the case is there a line that would be more suitable for me? The other option is a BMH but im not really too sure about this breeds characteristics away from the field.

I do work, the dog would be kept outside (free running) but I would be able to take it out at say 6:30am for 1/2 hour and around 5:30 for an hour. Obviously at weekends a lot more. I know a Lab would be an option but im just not that keen on them.

What do you guys think?

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Speak to Jagare on here. He runs dogs for deer days and knows his stuff.
    Put any bias aside and get a Lab.
    I should have spoken to him and got a Lab. Instead I ended up with a Teckel who as I speak is probably off do his rounds of the neighbours, he'll be back in a bout 1/2 an hour and it's not worth looking for him as he too small to spot behind a dandelion.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Bez View Post
    Sure this thread has been covered before but ill give you my situation and see if you lads can give me some advice.

Thinking of getting a dog that I can take out stalking. I want it almost exclusively for deer work (not for feathered game etc), I like the idea of a dog that helps me locate live deer via air scent and also is useful when locating downed deer that have ran.

I am really keen on a German Wire haired pointer but iv read they don't like being left alone and can be destructive and bark etc this isn't acceptable as I have neighbours. I know theres a huge variation between lines so if thats the case is there a line that would be more suitable for me? The other option is a BMH but im not really too sure about this breeds characteristics away from the field.

I do work, the dog would be kept outside (free running) but I would be able to take it out at say 6:30am for 1/2 hour and around 5:30 for an hour. Obviously at weekends a lot more. I know a Lab would be an option but im just not that keen on them.

What do you guys think?
    I have long shared your 'fancy' for a GWP but for a range of reasons have never owned one myself. I still admire the breed though.

I have a Labrador bitch who is now three years old. She stalks at heel and indicates deer ahead by lifting her head and sniffing the air but stays silent.
    She tracks on the long lead (not huge distances) and has found me several deer in woodland, that I would never have located without her.

Only last Friday evening she found and held a wounded Muntjac that had got into the bottom of a ten foot deep ditch that was overgrown with brambles.

Much to my surprise (because she has such a soft nature) she will bite a wounded deer very hard, which helps to enable a quick dispatch.

She never makes a noise when out and will not bark at a carcass, despite encouragement from me. She did let out one yelp last week when I think the deer must have retaliated though.

Ruby is easy to handle at home and safe around children. I had the benefit of advice and encouragement from George (Wolverine on here) whilst training her and remain grateful for his time spent on the phone and emails. George did give me a few well deserved rockets (I'm being polite) along the way, purely to get me doing the right thing and let the dog develop its skills properly.

So don't discount a Labrador and be assured that a bitch will do the business much the same as a dog, given the training and opportunity to gain experience.

Best wishes with whichever breed and you choose.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

A german shorthair would also be a good bet as it will actually point deer rather than just indicate in its own way which can vary from breed to breed and individual dogs,nice temperament pretty much like a lab very biddable and dont have the volatile temperament that a lot of wirehairs seem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Speak to Jagare on here. He runs dogs for deer days and knows his stuff.
    Put any bias aside and get a Lab.
    I should have spoken to him and got a Lab. Instead I ended up with a Teckel who as I speak is probably off do his rounds of the neighbours, he'll be back in a bout 1/2 an hour and it's not worth looking for him as he too small to spot behind a dandelion.

If i was stalking in the Uk again and wanted a dog as a stalking companion and help i would go for a lab. Talk to cookingfat or Stone about the use of labs for deer work. They are the men to put you on the right track.
    My teckle was barking at something in the long grass at the back of the house yesterday evening. After 20 mins i went out to see what he was up to and he had an adder to bay.

Hello Bez.

+1 for reply #2

I have a 2 year old GWP as a dog for deer, and based on the scenario you have listed in your post, would not recommend one for your current circumstances... I work from home, so am able to do ad hoc training, keep the dog interested and not bored, and generally stop him from getting in to trouble... However, they are easily bored, which can then become destructive, and they do thrive on company - especially of their handler.... and they do require stimulation to keep them motivated... Basically they are a demanding breed, and can be hard work even on a good day !!!

I am fortunate that I was able to get a GWP, because of my job allowing me to work at home. Otherwise I would have been looking for another Lab for sure... Don`t get me wrong, GWPs are a fabulous breed, and you also have to like what you work with, but you may not be popular with your neighbours, and there are more placid breeds that when trained will do you proud... and ultimately you don`t want to be offloading a dog because you could not give it what it needed.

Good luck with your decision.

All the best.

Neil.

Or go the best of both worlds. I have one of Akelds bavarian mountain hound cross Labradors. Not a mongrel as it has been rudely called by some, but a double pedigree. Still only 3 months old and has definate charachter traits of both it's breeds. She is very attentive, intelligent and inquisitive.

To be honest I think a Lab would be your best option for a first deer dog, the German breeds are fantastic but will be more demanding to train. My current lab bitch will properly point deer as well as tracking and has been a dream to train.

Thanks for all the detailed replies and I will certainly take all the advice on board.

It's not something I'm going to jump into. If we are talking labs which lines would you reccomend, or just anything from good working stock.

Bez, pm Wolverine, Stone, Cookingfat,or countryboy on here all of them will be able to point you in the right direction for which breed lines to choose and all have forgotten more than most will ever know when it comes to training.