Thread: Home made shotgun

Fair play to the ingenuity of the fella, no doubt he feeds his family better than others.

I can't see my FEO allowing me one of them.
    I suspect that it might not be the best of hide guns anyhow!

Excellent! I particularly liked the accuracy of the 'match' grade ammo, using hand made boolits no less.

And to continue the theme of home-made weapons here's a 'rifle' seized during the Mau Mau uprising which I photographed for the Black Watch Museum in Perth. I'm not sure if I'd have wanted to be anywhere in the vicinity when the bolt was released.
    Attachment 57899

Please respect copyright with this image.

There's an interesting story about these Mau mau guns (possibly apocryphal): it's said that the design was deliberately fed to the insurgents in an effort to get them to kill/maim themselves.

If you look at the 'action', you see that it's driven by a spring. The round was hand fed into the chamber, then the bolt pulled back against the spring and released. It snapped forward and the pin struck the primer (the pin was just a protrusion on the bolt face, not an independently moving part). Since the bolt was not secured in place by any lugs, it shot backwards when the round fired and embedded itself it the user's face.

I went to school in Kenya in the 1980s, and saw a number of these - and was always told the ssme story. No idea if it's true - and none if them look as if they were ever fired.

What, you mean like Blasers?

Heard a story recently that Very pistols used to be knocked off boats whenever possible by the criminal fraternity.A Morris Minor steering column was then inserted inside the barrel.
    The steering column tube just happened to be the same size internally as a 12bore cartridge.
    You then had a 12g pistol with an extended barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyEddie View Post
    Heard a story recently that Very pistols used to be knocked off boats whenever possible by the criminal fraternity.A Morris Minor steering column was then inserted inside the barrel.
    The steering column tube just happened to be the same size internally as a 12bore cartridge.
    You then had a 12g pistol with an extended barrel.
    Then if you only used blanks and a pillowcase it would be possible to retrofit an airbag system to Moggi? I heard a tale in 1988 that Mercedes were then using blanks as initiators for the first gen of airbags.
    Martin

When I was a boy you could buy copies of the SOE and US special forces training manuals from Army Surplus stores and in there was a hole host of detailed instructions on how to make improvised weapons from readily available components. None of them particualrly complicated.

When I worked in Zambia in the 1990's we employed a couple of former poachers as guards. They had fearsome muzzle loaders with long smooth bore barrels. One did have the lock from an old tower musket - there will still stamps of the crown on the side of the lock, the other looked rather more bush made. Barrels were steering columns from a truck or landrover. The ramrods were graduated with a series of notches for everything from Guinae Fowl up to Elephant. Powder was a concoction of charcoal, cows urine and the the gum of a tree that was all mixed and then slowly dried out over a low fire - a job said the old poacher for his ugly wife - sometimes she got it too hot and it goes bang. Percusion caps were made from a tin can and some mtche heads. Bullets were made from lead from car batteries. Calibre was 12 bore plus and when it fired it did damgae at both ends, and if the bullet or recoil hadn't killed the smoke certainly would. Asked if he used it on Elephant - "yes"was the answer, "but get very close and then run very fast".