Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stag Antler Dispute

Stag Antler Dispute

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the rights and wrongs of finding and keeping fallen antlers on private land......

I own a smallholding of about 35 acres. One of the main reasons I bought the place was due to the abundance of wildlife that visits the land. I love nothing better than watching the two huge resident stags from my bedroom window, and have watched them grow some pretty impressive antlers over the last year.

Over the past month i've been out most days roaming around my land looking for antlers, but so far found nothing. So imagine my anger and disappointment when I found out that a local contractor, who I had employed to come and do a job for me last week, had found a set of antlers in my field whilst he was here, and had decided to take them home without even mentioning it to me. Right now I wish I'd never employed the guy- I feel like he has stolen from me!!!

Does anyone have any idea if he is in the wrong? Am I overreacting?

I just feel so gutted that this has happened but wanted to get a few other opinions before I do/say anything to him.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Beth.

have you asked for them? He might not realise how much you wanted them.

I think admin might be the ones to ask...

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

You will rarely find cast antlers as most deer will eat them as they are full of vitamins and minerals that are too valuable to a stag to just leave on the ground.

Welcome to the site! You may wish to check the rules on introductory posts though?
    As for the antlers, they were on your property and therefore belong to you. He has stolen your property!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the rights and wrongs of finding and keeping fallen antlers on private land......

I own a smallholding of about 35 acres. One of the main reasons I bought the place was due to the abundance of wildlife that visits the land. I love nothing better than watching the two huge resident stags from my bedroom window, and have watched them grow some pretty impressive antlers over the last year.

Over the past month i've been out most days roaming around my land looking for antlers, but so far found nothing. So imagine my anger and disappointment when I found out that a local contractor, who I had employed to come and do a job for me last week, had found a set of antlers in my field whilst he was here, and had decided to take them home without even mentioning it to me. Right now I wish I'd never employed the guy- I feel like he has stolen from me!!!

Does anyone have any idea if he is in the wrong? Am I overreacting?

I just feel so gutted that this has happened but wanted to get a few other opinions before I do/say anything to him.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Beth.
    Rather a strange request to put on a deer staking site! Whilst I can see your point of view to a certain extent I fail to see what this has to do with this site. Also it is a requirement to make a full introduction before making a post on this site.

Sorry if this comes across as being a little abrupt, but we monitor this site very closely for troublemakers, trolls and antis. Therefore I would be grateful if you would make an introduction before proceeding with any further posts.

Thank you

Sikamalc (Site Co Owner)
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Welcome to the site! You may wish to check the rules on introductory posts though?
    As for the antlers, they were on your property and therefore belong to you. He has stolen your property!
    MS
    technically yes but I doubt the police would follow this up (rightly so) even under the "theft by finding" rules, just as if you found a 5 note while working in some woodland. I would imagine the contractor didn't realise the significance of the antlers and if they were asked to be returned then there is a good chance they would be.

finders keepers we'v all done it
    wi summin or another it its not crown jewlels

Hardly a dispute if you haven't spoken to the contractor yet. Perhaps he simply didn't realise that you wanted them.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Introductory post aside, I find it an interesting question.

The Theft Act 1968 (Theft Act 1968) states that:

Wild creatures, tamed or untamed, shall be regarded as property; but a person cannot steal a wild creature not tamed nor ordinarily kept in captivity, or the carcase of any such creature, unless either it has been reduced into possession by or on behalf of another person and possession of it has not since been lost or abandoned, or another person is in course of reducing it into possession.
    Which I would interpret as; the antlers (presuming these form part of a carcase, albeit a recurring annual one?) were not in your possession either before or after they were cast and, as such, could not be "stolen" from you.

I am not a lawyer, so this is just an interpretation.

Even so, I'd also feel a bit miffed if someone had walked off with them, particularly someone who was an employee (albeit a contractor).

Why not ask him politely if he'd mind returning them to you?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!