Thread: Tarnished Brass

Blog Entries

Tarnished Brass

At a recent show I picked up a load of brass cheaply. I'm guessing it had been stored somewhere damp or bagged without thoroughly drying it after some wet cleaning process. It was a bit green.

I gave it a long tumble and even so it was very tarnished and didn't look much at all.

Doing a bit of on line research there were a couple of household item type cleaning solutions. I went with vinegar, lime juice and salt.

Chucked a couple hundred cases in a big mixing bowl, stirred for 15 minutes, allowed to soak and stirred for another 5.

Fluid at the bottom is runs filthy but the cases have come up really well. Dramatically transformed!

Rinse off in a pasta sieve with boiling water and allow to dry on a towel.
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 10-06-2015 at 09:26.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Did it get the crud out of the primer pockets?

Ian

Blog Entries

Tarnished Brass

The primers are still in.

I don't like to tumble with the primers out as the holes get blocked with media and I just "Have" to clear them. I also don't like running dirty brass through my sizer/de capper.
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 10-06-2015 at 09:27.

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    The primers are still in.

I don't like to tumble with the primers out as the holes get blocked and I "Have" to clear them. I also don't like running dirty brass through my sizer/de capper.
    1, stop being so bloody lazy and pick the pockets clear.

2, use a universal decapper to save your dies

3, how are you ? Been a while
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Blog Entries
    I'm good Pete.

1. 200 pockets and my reloading OCD is a grump inducing mix.

2. I have a Dillon that does it all in one smooth flow. Separating out the decapping seems laborious.

I retumbled the brass overnight and its unrecognisable as the crap I bought! I'm very pleased.

I have a tumbler coming from the US (hopefully this week) Between that, and the ultrasound cleaner I recently bought, tarnish should be a thing of the past! Shiny brass......yaaaaasssss
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    At a recent show I picked up a load of brass cheaply. I'm guessing it had been stored somewhere damp or bagged without thoroughly drying it after some wet cleaning process. It was a bit green.

I gave it a long tumble and even so it was very tarnished and didn't look much at all.

Doing a bit of on line research there were a couple of household item type cleaning solutions. I went with vinegar, lime juice and salt.

Chucked a couple hundred cases in a big mixing bowl, stirred for 15 minutes, allowed to soak and stirred for another 5.

Fluid at the bottom is runs filthy but the cases have come up really well. Dramatically transformed!

Rinse off in a pasta sieve with boiling water and allow to dry on a towel.

My wife has banned me from using any kitchen implements since I took the lining off her cast iron casserole pot by hot salts bluing some pistol parts in it. Seemed like a good idea at the time

US cleaner (UltraSonic rather than American!) and citric acid crystals

so clean they positively squeak, pockets are clean too