Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideal stalking jacket

Ideal stalking jacket

Is there such a thing or as near to ? When leaving home you are cooked, arrive at your area and it's windy ,chilly etc. your permission is maybe difficult stalking ground especially when you have one or two in the roe sack. I doubt if there is any jacket that you won't feel like you are in a sauna when in this scenario. Any suggestions from experiences please

I use one of these Mil-Tec Smock Lightweight Olive: Amazon.co.uk: Clothing it is wind proof so surprisingly warm with just a t-shirt underneath but thin so doesn't get hot in summer. I got it in a larger size than normal so I can layer clothes underneath in the winter. It has loads of pockets so I keep all my stalking bits in the jacket so don't needs bag of any kind. Being olive green it blends in nicely and doesn't look too military when teamed with some plain trousers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun572013 View Post
    Is there such a thing or as near to ? When leaving home you are cooked, arrive at your area and it's windy ,chilly etc. your permission is maybe difficult stalking ground especially when you have one or two in the roe sack. I doubt if there is any jacket that you won't feel like you are in a sauna when in this scenario. Any suggestions from experiences please
    Yes... Layer up and use lightweight gear... look at the American systems from the likes of Sitka and Kuiu.. My combined Kuiu merino base layer, merino mid layer, (soon to get) waterproof down insulation and wind/waterproof/breathable shell weighs half as much as a Harkila Pro Hunter jacket and I can remove or add layers as I need them.. I can also compress it down to almost nothing and fit it in pockets or small backpack! Modern fabrics from Torey are also much more breathable than Gore-Tex stuff and are just as waterproof.

I saw the light when out on the Hill in Scotland in Jan... ended up sweating so much in my harkila I was drenched on the inside.. took it off to try and lose some heat and almost ended up with hypothermia as I was so wet!... I had almost zero control over temperature and ended up wetter than I would have if I'd left it off... after 15 miles I was also knackered through carrying loads of weight and it struck my that the heaviest thing I was lugging was my jacket!

There is no such thing as a do-it-all jacket... you need to be looking at a system... now I don't get cold or wet or hot and I'm not lugging half a ton of Cordura round with me!
    Last edited by Vipa; 09-06-2015 at 13:47.

I keep saying this but...

British army Windproof smock. As a stalking jacket (and I've got quite a few jackets from everyone from Musto to Cabellas) it simply can't be beaten and because it doesn't have a waterproof membrane you stay much drier, and therefore warmer, when working hard as it breathes very well. However, with waterproofing washed into it then it is "showerproof" to a degree (2 - 4 hours in the rain depending on conditions) that means in most stalking situations you'll not get wet. With correct layers underneath the non-waterproof smock will keep you both drier and warmer than a completely waterproof jacket but it is light enough to wear on all but the warmest days and windproof for when there is a cool breeze. The pockets are great and you can get them in a range of colours with the most common, as you'd expect, being the DPM and MTP cammo patterns but green, black and even blue are available. The MTP has a more "sophisticated" design with hand warmer pockets, mesh liner, pit zips etc. but I prefer the simpler design of the DPM smocks as they do away with all this stuff.

In really wet weather then you put on a gore-tex liner (British army goretex jacket) UNDER the smock and so you keep all your pockets, are still silent but are now totally waterproof. Rain stops, smock dries out in a few minutes, gore-tex layer off and you are back to being breathable again. In terms of versatility you can't beat it.

It is necessary to remember that this is a clothing "system" which is flexible and suitable for nearly any weather you'll ever meet. However, the smocks and gore-tex jackets are pretty cheap to buy into and if you don't like them you can stick them back on ebay and get your money back so there is nothing to lose in giving it a try. If you use it as designed all the other jackets you own are redundant.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I use an old Seeland Keeper jacket, reasonably weatherproof, drab enough and doesn't make too much noise.

atb Tim

+1 on the seeland pants and coat,not the best when cold but then just add more layers,atb doug,
    DONT START

Thanks guys. As I thought , it's what suits the individual. I had a lightweight smock long time ago and would agree that it was excellent for most stalking trips except severe winter weather. Technology has'nt advanced too much in this area yet. Cheers all

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    I use one of these Mil-Tec Smock Lightweight Olive: Amazon.co.uk: Clothing it is wind proof so surprisingly warm with just a t-shirt underneath but thin so doesn't get hot in summer. I got it in a larger size than normal so I can layer clothes underneath in the winter. It has loads of pockets so I keep all my stalking bits in the jacket so don't needs bag of any kind. Being olive green it blends in nicely and doesn't look too military when teamed with some plain trousers.
    Hi nun hunter. This may be an option if it is as thin and light as you say . It does'nt look it on their website!

In answer to the question yes there is an all round coat and jacket for four seasons use but unfortuneately your dog is wearing it!

Been said in many previous posts on this subject and also this one ! Ex military jackets are hard to fault especially when you take cost into consideration. I use a Dutch army DPM jacket ( waterproof, wind proof, plenty of pockets etc ) In the winter I put a British army cold weather jacket/liner under it. Then only need to wear t-shirt, under armour type of thing as a base layer. Total cost for both jackets is around 80. Incredable performance for not a lot of money.