Thread: Scanning pregnant bitch

Scanning pregnant bitch

Had my fox red bitch mated and want to know she's pregnant so I can feed accordingly Ect .ive asked our local sheep / cow scanner if she'll scan her for me and she's said yes (shes done the hunts hounds and terriers ) for this weekend which is 35 days from mating ,anyone else used such services or does everyone use the vets ...? Cheers
    Norma

Cows are scanned internally so not suitable for dogs but sheep use the same external method and equipment .
    generally those that scan sheep are using the scanner a lot and are pretty good at reading the results where as some vets rarely use the scanner so are not so reliable with their interpretation of the scan.

I have found that scans are ok to determine if your bitch is in whelp but I would not rely too much on any numbers given as these can be wildly out due to a number of reasons .

At 5 - 6 weeks I would expect to have a very good idea if one of my bitches was in whelp or not

Neither is the right answer. The sad truth is vets and lay scanners skills vary enormously. You get really good and below average of both categories.

Vets are specifically told by our indemnity insurers never to count puppies.

The average small animal vet is likely to scan many more dogs than the average sheep scanner. Sheep scanning heads are a little too large for good contact on dogs, but can be used at a push. I've scanned a number of farm dogs using the cow rectal scanner (externally).

If anyone tells you they can scan a bitch properly without clipping hair, I suggest you grab the nearest heavy object and hit them with it.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Thanks chaps as long as I know she's in pup or not I'll be happy enough .
    And I guess she'll be using the sheep scanner minus the hair clipping I'll report back after Sunday .
    thanks
    norma

+1 to all Apache's comments. regarding feeding, you shouldn't need to do anything more than a good quality food. Upto 4x normal when lactating!

Got my bitch scanned this morning it a very simple proceedure and I put on the googles and could clearly see the pups myself .a very experienced lady who was very honest and said the vets kit was clearer than hers but for 20 and no clipping I was happy so in a months time I'll be busy !
    Cheers Norma

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Neither is the right answer. The sad truth is vets and lay scanners skills vary enormously. You get really good and below average of both categories.

Vets are specifically told by our indemnity insurers never to count puppies.

The average small animal vet is likely to scan many more dogs than the average sheep scanner. Sheep scanning heads are a little too large for good contact on dogs, but can be used at a push. I've scanned a number of farm dogs using the cow rectal scanner (externally).

If anyone tells you they can scan a bitch properly without clipping hair, I suggest you grab the nearest heavy object and hit them with it.
    Whilst i admit to knowing very little about this threads topic i will say that 'Grumpoldsod' does have an extensive knowledge (derived from years of personal experience) in this field so to say his answer is incorrect is purely your opinion and perhaps not based on factual evidence?