Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightforce suction mounted roof bar

Lightforce suction mounted roof bar

Can't decide whether to drill a hole in truck roof for lightforce handle mounting or try the suction mounted roof bar.
    Anyone got first hand experience using the roof bar that can vouch for its ability to stay "stuck" to the roof?
    To be honest I am very skeptical about the suction mounts ability to hold firm if put through its paces but happy to be told otherwise as would rather not cut a hole in the roof (but will if I have to)
    With several hundred quids worth of night vision being mounted atop I can't tolerate it falling off.

Many years ago I used a suction bar on the Disco I had. As long as the suction pads are well placed down before you flick over the lever and you slightly dampen the pads first they stick well. I used to drive from farm to farm and not once did the bar come adrift.

Below +3 they can let go but your hand will fall off before that with the wind chill. Also when you open the door the remote handle has to be flipped up losing the area where you shot. I notice Tracer now do a copy of the LF remote and horizontal bar but the suckers are a bit plastic for my liking.
    I have an aluminium sunroof that has been drilled and a LF remote fitted which has zero negatives over the remote and sucker design.

I've used one for years & as long as the truck roof is nice & flat it stays pretty well stuck.

As Red-Dot states the only down side is remembering to flip the handle up out the way when opening the door, you soon remember once you've left it down a couple of times.

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

SD Regular
    Why not try one of the window mounts instead (support-a-light) - extremely firm and easy to take on and off. Unless you have a sunroof, and then cut a steel sheet for the open space and drill to your hearts content.....
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I've just replaced my sunroof glass with a piece of aluminium. Cost me 20 for the plate cut to size. Then drilled a hole and fitted the lamp through that. The sunroof glass is only held by 4 little bolts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433928212.646246.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	57801
    Thanks Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Why not try one of the window mounts instead (support-a-light) - extremely firm and easy to take on and off. Unless you have a sunroof, and then cut a steel sheet for the open space and drill to your hearts content.....
    No sunroof in the ranger.
    Support a light looks an option.....but looks like it might get in the way when shooting from window?

Wow....just seen the price of the support a light.....seems a lot for what they are. 100 is cheapest i can find.
    Half that and i might have taken a punt on one.
    Drill hole and roof mount still looking like the best option so far.....not worried about vehicle resale value with a hole in roof but am concerned about it leaking!

Don't use a hella roof light if your worried about leaks, it's the only thing they are good at! Lightforce units are the way to go, the Deben copy is just a cheap copy. Buy right and buy once, got a Deben in my work truck and it is notchy to use even when greased up.