Boar in India

Bavarianbrit

I read yesterday that the Hyderabad area government will soon allow wild boar to be culled because the farmers are upset about the damage they are causing.
Will the general hunting ban in India ever be lifted?
Martin

I know they are permitted to cull boar in Punjab due to the damage caused. But if the hunting ban ever did get lifted I'm going.

Manish

I am negotiating to go over to Hyderabad on a design project thats how I found out about it.
Fieldsports Britain had a bit about it yesterday.
If it comes off I will organise an elephant riding driven day for SD members, pith helmet and gin included, ha.
Martin

I think anyone with the surname Corbett can come for free the Indians have a great respect even today for what the chap did. All his books I have read have been unputdownable.
Martin

Fished the Cauvery a couple of years ago downstream from Mysore in the Basavana Betta Forest.........Wildlife heaven! As we sat by the river in the morning or evening we'd see elephants, water buffalo, sambar deer, otters, crocs and plenty of sounders of boar.
Hunting, of course, was banned but that didn't stop the locals where occasionally a tell tale "wummmmmph" and attendant smoke ring rising out of the forest signalled another animal falling to a 1800's muzzle loader! They'd moved on from dynamiting the river for mahseer!

If the job comes off then I will try to get a Hindi course there as it will be my second stint in India and I can see the need to better communicate.
I have fluent German already and that was a hard slog for a secondary modern kid and so having no language grammer basics to fall back onto.
Martin

I don't think the hunting ban would ever be lifted, at least not as long as "Project Tiger" is on. It is a cash cow for corrupt officials in the forestry dept. Even if the "cull" is allowed, it would probably involve only sporadic shooting of "tresspassing boars". Allowing organised, legal hunting will pose too many problems for the politicians and corrupt officials (e.g. harvesting sand from river beds illegally brings in huge amount of bribes. Allowing public access to these reserve forests will cause great inconvenience to the unscruplous elements.) If however, the ban does get lifted, I will on the first flight home!

@ Bavarianbrit - you will need to know Telugu more than Hindi in Hyderabad mate! Good luck anyway

Raj

Count me in. Couple of hours flight from here.

Also Pakistan is available but you'll get a shabby old 12 bore and some buckshot. Also about 100 beaters for a 100 dollars a day.Tempting it there was the guarantee of a decent rifle but it's P K so the jury's to for me at the mo.

Sadly the job offer came to nothing. The Indian company took over 4 weeks and still no decision so now am off to Slovakia in 2 weeks on the new Q7 launch.
I will do India again later under my own steam, a wonderful interesting land.
Martin

Back