Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building metal High seats,

Building metal High seats,

A while ago i made a reasonable job building a high seat using the square steel tube from an old market stall with my old stick welder, I fancy making another using 25x25mm x 3mm thick tube but this time using Mig, I have never used a mig welder and there are so many makes and models i really dont know where to start, so any recommendations would be greatly received, also what wire would be more suitable 0,6mm or 0,8mm,
    cheers Geoff

One piece of advice I would give is do plenty of research into the prices you can get the gas for locally, either buying the canisters and refilling them or renting them as the price is often very high! So bearing this in mind also look at welders that can take flux cored wire and so can operate in a gasless manner. This will work better if you're welding outdoors in a wind or if you run out of gas or simply can't afford the gas!

We use 1mm on everything, Migatronic 250A.

no experience of gasless mig
    I have changed all my regulators on my equipment to CO2 and use food grade CO2 as I am generally welding new steel into old, these are the bottles a pub would use and are therefore more generally available
    equipment wise is down to money, SIP are always good, demonstration models can be bought cheaper from suppliers, MAC tools have been offering so good deals and for the gauge you are working with a 120-140 will do but if you can get a 180 as when your confidence grows your mate will be at the gate with many a challenging task
    good look
    tube welding is an art which starts with the 'beak cuts' prior to welding , this vid will give you a start, good luck
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

My take is from a professional point of view, I have a big old 500amp mig and three Tig plants, so my experience is maybe not appropriate. If you are looking to do more welding in the future then buy the best that you can (can't quite) afford. This has always been my policy on tool purchases.If it is to make just one high seat then I would check out your local hire shop and rent a good quality professional rig. Do all your preparation and you would weld it in a good morning. Alternatively look at ebay and buy a second hand one which is close to home so that you can check it works before you buy.Gas bottle rental is fairly prohibitive for a single high seat, but that is what is used by professional welders sometimes even in conjunction with flux cored wires. Especially if you have not used one before I would be inclined to get a quality unit so at least you are not having to do something unfamiliar with a cheap wobbly unit.Having said that a lot of people get by with the basic models from Machinemart, you may know somebody with one at the back of their garage which you could borrow...Welding - The DIY Guide would be a better place to ask your question, but also a great resource for things welding as this is for things deer related.Curious, I typed in mig-welding.co.uk with www. in front and the link to the DIY guide page was generated automatically...spooky...Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 23-06-2015 at 18:56.

Do you ever come up to the Birmingham area ? Far easier to show you than have to read about it. 15 mins and you'll be able to go alone.

Hi Rodp
    thanks for the offer i think that the nearest i have been to Birmingham was about fifteen years ago when i went to the black country museum, We were at an AJS and Matchless rally, really enjoyed the Museum. Cheers Geoff

Check out machinemart they have all sizes of mig welders including gassless ones, if you can stick weld you can mig weld

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
    A while ago i made a reasonable job building a high seat using the square steel tube from an old market stall with my old stick welder, I fancy making another using 25x25mm x 3mm thick tube but this time using Mig, I have never used a mig welder and there are so many makes and models i really dont know where to start, so any recommendations would be greatly received, also what wire would be more suitable 0,6mm or 0,8mm,
    cheers Geoff
    It is always better to have a bit more power as they all can be turned down to the lowest setting, however come the day you have maxed out and the weld will be sitting on top....
    I have a Lincoln 195 on single phase with a feed of the cooker main.
    Changing to 1mm on the next roll as I can get 1mm off a firm I sub to, the .8 is very good in my unit,
    Just a long drive to get it.
    If it is just going to sit there month after month then no point in a high end model, base units will have a fixed torch as a better model will have a Euro torch fitting. This means you can fit a longer lead ( 4mts) which in turn means less moving the unit to get to a bigger job.

In the distant past I have used pub gas, gone are the days when you could nip up the road and change a argo shield bottle as the gas mafia have put a stop to that.
    Some firms do a 20ltr mig gas bottle as the have found the market to suit the Fred in a Shed welders...not cheap but you can get it and keep welding.

Good luck with your quest

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

In my opinion I would stay well clear of the gas less models and get something that works with a bottle higher amps the better