Thread: Some plants?

Some plants?

Any idea what these are?
    I think they're orchids but what type I'm not sure and can I mow the lawn?

Last edited by limulus; 13-06-2015 at 11:44.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I think the first one is a bee orchid - I don't care what the law states but it would be a crime to mow them down. Maybe cut the lawn in late season after the plant has gone over & dropped its seeds.
    Beautiful to behold & should be looked after.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    I think the first one is a bee orchid - I don't care what the law states but it would be a crime to mow them down. Maybe cut the lawn in late season after the plant has gone over & dropped its seeds.

Ian
    I would leave it for a bit if it were mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post

Ian
    + 1 on that, I have dug up my lawn and planted wild flower seeds and waiting for them to grow and flower

First is certainly a Bee Orchid - the second maybe a Common Spotted but hard to tell from your pic
    How about mowing around them ?

There's quite a few. I've explained to head office that I've to leave the lawn
    Quad sticks

First defo Bee Orchid, second almost certainly common spotted orchid. What a lovely lawn! Mow round them, but I wouldn't mow them off, such a shame.

edit, just checked their distribution and bee orchids are scarce in the north, so I'd definitely leave it, might be worth it being recorded, plant life, wildlife trust locally would possibly be interested to have a record?
    Last edited by deerstalker.308; 13-06-2015 at 17:25.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

We've a bit of a hill starts halfway down the garden and once the bluebells have finished I usually strim it.
    having looked more closely we've about 30 of the first one but just two of the second all on one side of the garden, the west side as you look from the back of the house.

I'm going to strim the other side wait until these orchids have finished.
    im not telling any interfering wassock that they're here, can you imagine the hassle if we wanted to sell
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    We've a bit of a hill starts halfway down the garden and once the bluebells have finished I usually strim it.
    having looked more closely we've about 30 of the first one but just two of the second all on one side of the garden, the west side as you look from the back of the house.

I'm going to strim the other side wait until these orchids have finished.
    im not telling any interfering wassock that they're here, can you imagine the hassle if we wanted to sell
    You wouldn't get any hassle, they aren't that rare, but the sort of records that county recorders would be interedted in......jeeez, some folk think everyone is going to shaft them, some people/organisations are just plain interested.... It's not going to land you with a SSSI designation or any planning restrictions. But hey ho. Enjoy.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Nice to have in your garden Tony you are very lucky mate,we do have quite a lot around here and one of my farmers has just fenced off an area with all sorts of orchids on it and I hope to get over the valley in time to get some pics.

Martin