Thread: Draw Scope User Instructions.

Draw Scope User Instructions.

I am looking for a copy or photocopy of the user instructions for the Hertel and Reuss Tele-Variabel 25-60x60 Spotting Scope (single draw).
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Pull until you can pull no more.
    Point at thing you want to see.
    Peer in small end. (Please note: peering in large end usually disappoints)
    Adjust focus.
    Peer some more.
    Zoom in a bit, zoom back out again as it was a bad idea.

There you go, simple as that :-) Actually, being serious, I've never seen one that came with instructions. That isn't to say they weren't delivered with them but I've never seen a recent one with any documents at all so sorry I can't help.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Set zoom to lowest mag first, sit down comfy, extend draw, peer through glass bit on small end as Caorach says, focus, then zoom up if you can hold it still enough.
    If you fail sell it to me for 25 delivered.
    Enjoy!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Pull until you can pull no more.
    Point at thing you want to see.
    Peer in small end. (Please note: peering in large end usually disappoints)
    Adjust focus.
    Peer some more.
    Zoom in a bit, zoom back out again as it was a bad idea.

There you go, simple as that :-) Actually, being serious, I've never seen one that came with instructions. That isn't to say they weren't delivered with them but I've never seen a recent one with any documents at all so sorry I can't help.
    Well I don't know ! As a true disciple (even Fanboy) of your optical derring-do posts, my expectations have been dashed.
    Is it really that simple ? I have just found a twiddly bit on the objective end that turned out to be a sunshade when I gave it a good tug .

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Set zoom to lowest mag first, sit down comfy, extend draw, peer through glass bit on small end as Caorach says, focus, then zoom up if you can hold it still enough.
    If you fail sell it to me for 25 delivered.
    Enjoy!

Ian
    Thanks Ian. You are just all heart.

The optics are pretty good on it and it is good condition albeit very tight. I think it will take a bit of getting used to though. At the money I paid I don't mind having it in my truck most of the time.

I plan to use it for spotting Roe on long hedgerows at some distance in very large Norfolk fields. I am thinking of getting some sort of small tripod to use with it on my vehicle bonnet or even a window clamp. Any thoughts on those ?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    The optics are pretty good on it and it is good condition albeit very tight.
    Tight is always considered to be a better sign than loose with them, also I think it always catches people out just how hard they can be to open but, of course, you are moving all that air into the scope as well so that makes it feel tighter. I do have an H&R that is very loose but even then the operation and optics are fine but it must be a sign of a lot more use that a tight one plus it must be sucking in more dirt etc.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    I plan to use it for spotting Roe on long hedgerows at some distance in very large Norfolk fields. I am thinking of getting some sort of small tripod to use with it on my vehicle bonnet or even a window clamp. Any thoughts on those ?
    You have three real choices, between a window clamp, a bean bag and a small tripod. For ease of use I would suggest the bean bag, as that can work on the window itself or on the bonnet. The tripod might be a bit limiting, as it will force you to have to get out of the car, although it might come in handy if you also use the scope for zeroing. The window clamps are good, but getting one with a head that gives sufficient adjustment can be a challenge. Also they are not much use if the roe is on the passenger side of the car.

One alternative, though more expensive, is the Manfrotto Magic Arm and the Manfrotto Superclamp. You can clamp this onto the door arm, the gearstick, the steering wheel, etc (obviously when you are parked up ) and then adjust the arm accordingly.

I'd probably start with a bean bag.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks for the replies. I have used the scope this morning whilst spotting shots on target from testing my .260 home-loads.

I also tried it from a good vantage point and now fully understand the importance of being able to keep it still.

I did use the front bag on the bonnet, which seems to do the trick albeit a little heavy. A bean bag looks a goer for my purposes, as suggested.

I also see what you mean by the zoom as it is almost impossible to hold steady on the 60x magnification and one loses definition to some extent.

It was actually quite funny as whilst I was scanning the far distance a movement caught my attention from the corner of my eye. It was a Muntjac buck walking slowly left to right, less than ten feet in front of my truck.

Was it Richard Prior who wrote 'deer are just as likely to be where you are as where you are going'? 'Where you are looking' too it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    You have three real choices, between a window clamp, a bean bag and a small tripod. For ease of use I would suggest the bean bag, as that can work on the window itself or on the bonnet. The tripod might be a bit limiting, as it will force you to have to get out of the car, although it might come in handy if you also use the scope for zeroing. The window clamps are good, but getting one with a head that gives sufficient adjustment can be a challenge. Also they are not much use if the roe is on the passenger side of the car.

One alternative, though more expensive, is the Manfrotto Magic Arm and the Manfrotto Superclamp. You can clamp this onto the door arm, the gearstick, the steering wheel, etc (obviously when you are parked up ) and then adjust the arm accordingly.

I'd probably start with a bean bag.
    hi Dom
    would you have a link for a supplier for the manfrotto magic arm and superclamp
    regards pete

Here's the link for the website, European companies ( IMHO) are pretty good with their customer care...

Hertel Reuss Opera Glasses: 100% Made in Germany