Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get into stalking?

How to get into stalking?

Ok, I've been shooting/hunting and enjoying the coutryside since the age of 8, but only ever for small game like rabbits and pigeons, although I have done a fair amount of game shooting in recent years which I enjoy immensely. Anyway I'm looking to try deer stalking. I've wanted to do so for a long while now, but I just don't know where to start. I don't have an FAC so I can't get a rifle, but I'm under the impression I can pay to do some kind of course? I belive it's an accreditied Deer Stalking Certificate?

Anyhow, any advice would be much apprecitated.

Cheers.....

PS
    At the risk of sounding too sentimental, I don't mind going for a Doe, I just don't want to shoot a pregnant deer, if possible. I know it has to be done and I really respect that, but taking a life can be pretty emotional, for wimps like me anyway, so I would like to avoid that I could lol
    Last edited by Joshua; 13-04-2010 at 10:43. Reason: PS

http://www.dmq.org.uk/index.html

Plenty of information on the link .

Thanks for the link, but Is it possible to pay for stalking? I'd like to gain some experience first.

Thanks

hi joshua i pay to stalk i booked a couple of days then applied for my fac while that was in i continued to pay for stalks i didnt want to do the dsc1 first as i wanted to gain experience first but i will definately do it this year. you should be able to find someone close for paid stalks.

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    hi joshua i pay to stalk i booked a couple of days then applied for my fac while that was in i continued to pay for stalks i didnt want to do the dsc1 first as i wanted to gain experience first but i will definately do it this year. you should be able to find someone close for paid stalks.

Hi Mereside! Yes, I will take your advice and do some payed stalking this summer. I was thinking maybe a Munty Buck as a first Deer. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Have a look on the late availability board ? Might find someone in your area .

Hi 2434me.No Munty stalking in the midlands, are there any estates or agents I could book through? Also, is Muntjac a good choice for a first stalk?

Thanks....

I would have thought that roe, red or fallow would be a better first stalk - muntjac are small and hide in the undergrowth. They don't stop while feeding so you have to be quick on the trigger in order to take them as they pause for a second...

You would probably be best off posting in the Stalking - Late Availability section and asking for stalking there, or look in your favourite shooting mag - they usually have many adverts there for estates that offer stalking and you can find ones in your area. If you don't want to book with someone you don't know or hasn't been recommended, you can always ask here if the estate is known and reputable.

Pippa

I've found a few good links.

Joshua, good advice has been given here and it's great to see that you are getting started in the right direction. On your point about not wishing to shoot a pregnant deer, don't forget that nearly all female deer are pregnant for the whole duration of their open season. I don't mean to sound hard hearted but I wouldn't let this worry you too much, when you first start stalking you will have enough to think about without adding complications or self imposed reservations. Go out with a good reputable stalker and let them guide you, listen to all the advice and try and sort out the wheat from the chaff and, most of all, enjoy your stalking. JC