Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What rifle shall I get in 30-06

What rifle shall I get in 30-06

Hi all,

I've just put my variation in for a 30-06. I currently have a 243 which is a walnut and blued steel type with a fixed mag scope which is excellent on the woodland muntjac and roe that I mostly shoot. I'm getting the '06 because I want a rifle that's good for the larger deer species and boar. I also think I want an all weather type do-anything set up so am thinking probably stainless and synthetic/fibreglass. It's either that or I get another wood and blue steel type, but pillar bed it as I cannot be doing with having to re-zero after taking action out of stock for drying and cleaning. Also wondering what length barrel to go for?

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers

Handle the following to see what floats yer boat:-

Sako 75 (without the stupid bolt lock) or a new 85 stainless synthetic - these have a nice stock with good feel. Or for a bit less money a Tikka (M55 or M595 if you can find one) or T3 Stainless synthetic tupperware stock, - not as nice as wood & blue but a great working tool.
    The good thing is that 308 / 30-06 cal rifles have good barrel lives & are not very prone to being shot out. Nice old school wood'n blue classics turn up quite often. As with any rifle though the way a rifle is cleaned can have more effect on barrel life than shot count. Of that type, the old model Steyer Mannlicher Luxus rifles do shoot very well & are nice to handle. - The modern stuff is nowhere near as nice IMHO.

Ian

Tikka T-3 Lite Stainless. My buddy has one and it is a super accurate, hard hunting rifle. Tupperware stock? Damned durable, I say. You can beat it and scratch it and not give a hoot. I have the same rifle in 308. I can drag that rifle along the ground, pick it up, dust it off, and shoot half minute.~Muir

Springfield 1903 or a American Enfield M1917......

I kid, the Sako's and Tikka's as suggested will not disappoint. Pick what feels right.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Tikka T-3 Lite Stainless. My buddy has one and it is a super accurate, hard hunting rifle. Tupperware stock? Damned durable, I say. You can beat it and scratch it and not give a hoot. I have the same rifle in 308. I can drag that rifle along the ground, pick it up, dust it off, and shoot half minute.~Muir
    +1 You won't go wrong with a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless synthetic. Very well designed and accurate.

T3 is a very good rifle, in any calibre.

But! in the UK, they only come with a 20 inch barrel, which really isn't enough to get the best out of a .30-06.

I'd very strongly recommend looking for something with at least a 22" but preferably a 24" barrel.

If you can find one, a Heym SR20 would be THE rifle to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Handle the following to see what floats yer boat:-

Sako 75 (without the stupid bolt lock) or a new 85 stainless synthetic - these have a nice stock with good feel. Or for a bit less money a Tikka (M55 or M595 if you can find one) or T3 Stainless synthetic tupperware stock, - not as nice as wood & blue but a great working tool.
    The good thing is that 308 / 30-06 cal rifles have good barrel lives & are not very prone to being shot out. Nice old school wood'n blue classics turn up quite often. As with any rifle though the way a rifle is cleaned can have more effect on barrel life than shot count. Of that type, the old model Steyer Mannlicher Luxus rifles do shoot very well & are nice to handle. - The modern stuff is nowhere near as nice IMHO.

Ian
    yes good choice. all though it will need to be a m690 or m695 for 30/06 as the m595 action is short calibre actions.

I would again say the sako/tikka family, but I choose the A7 cheaper than the sako 85 and a nicer stock than the tikka.

Quote Originally Posted by J111 View Post
    I'm getting the '06 because I want a rifle that's good for the larger deer species and boar.............Also wondering what length barrel to go for?
    What shooting discipline are you mainly hoping to use it for - UK type stalking/ highseat or driven game in Europe? A shorter barrelled, straight-pull of one kind or another will work for both, (with possible 'scope swaps), whereas you might be struggling with a longer barrel and narrow FOV high mag 'scope on driven.

Any rifle you can buy at a UK gun shop new whether it be Savage, Ruger, CZ, Browning, Merkel, Blaser, Sauer etc will shoot just fine. Any barrel length will be appropriate for any shot you are ever likely to take. Handle a few, see what you like and buy within your budget. Get a nice S&B, Zeiss or Swar and Bob is the proverbial. Honest, people spend more time debating than what it is worth. The difference between a Blaser and a Savage in real terms is ....money, both will do fine..marketing aside