Thread: Temporary Firearms Export License to S.A.

Temporary Firearms Export License to S.A.

There was a previous thread on whether it is required to get an export licence, after a lot of e-mails and searching the UKBA, they are finally saying we do need a temporary export license for our firearms when going to S.A. These can be issued by the UKBA if you send the following by post or e-mail
    A copy of your FAC
    details of the firearm/s and ammunition to be used/exported
    copy of your letter of invitation from your P.H./company
    flight details both ways
    copy of your I.D. page in your Passport
    Send these as follows to
    FAO Mark Kelley
    c/o The Armoury Heathrow
    Bay & Building 820
    Heathrow Airport
    Middlesex
    TW6 1SX
    Tel no 02089 103721
    e-mail as follows ukba.firearmslhr@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk
    hope this helps those going to S.A. this year.
    deerwarden
    Last edited by deerwarden; 21-06-2015 at 20:29.

Good stuff deerwarden. Is there any way this information can be kept visible on this site somewhere as, indeed, it's a topic that comes up often?

Many thanks for this info; very timely!

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty2008 View Post
    Many thanks for this info; very timely!
    I have the e-mail from U.K.B.A. with all the details required if any one wants a copy, be advised this is NOW required for anyone going to South Africa to hunt, at present there is a backlog of around two weeks, once they have your details on file and there are no changes it is a much quicker process. This has also been reported in some of the Shooting journels. deerwarden

Just got back from South Africa flew in and out of heathrow with Virgin.Turned up at check in with rifles informed check in girl we had rifles security chap turns up takes us all to customs/border control checks rifles fill in forms no problems took about an hour total.

what about taking your night vision equipment with you - like a thermal scope? I am due to go on holiday to South Africa. I was contemplating taking my thermal scope (should it not have sold by then I would keep it) on a trip to south africa with me. Have cousins and good friends whom are farmers and also hunters. Was hoping to use it abroad. Issue is I am recently advised that I may need an export control licence to take it with me, even for a holiday. Anyone have any experience of this?

Is this required for taking moderators as well? Reading this http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...rticle/16/made it would appear this falls under personal effects and the requirement for export licence is then exempt.

Unless it's changed recently I took night vision to South Africa in my hand luggage no problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by starr shot View Post
    Unless it's changed recently I took night vision to South Africa in my hand luggage no problem at all.
    Thanks for the information. Did you take a direct flight to SA? Im on Air France with a stopover in Paris, just wondering how they might act.

We went direct with virgin,but I can't see what problems you may encounter