Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Roe Deer bigger in England?

Are Roe Deer bigger in England?

I have been offered some Roe stalking South of the border.
    But I can't use my .223w to shoot Roe in England.
    Why not?
    I can make clean kills out to 200m with .223.
    But not South of a line on a map?
    Can anyone explain?
    Thanks.
    Silverfox

Yeah its simple bud, it's the law ! Same as some of the season dates are different for other species.
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Yep , a stupid law but a law nonetheless I'd love to use my .222 on British roe it's more than capable but I doubt it will ever change
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxfintry View Post
    I have been offered some Roe stalking South of the border.
    But I can't use my .223w to shoot Roe in England.
    Why not?
    I can make clean kills out to 200m with .223.
    But not South of a line on a map?
    Can anyone explain?
    Thanks.
    Silverfox
    We could all explain that it's because of the difference in laws between the two countries but as to the logic, NO.

Wouldn't it be even more interesting if the Welsh government adopted laws that would allow the use of .22 centrefires in Wales for roe, I am reliably informed that they have the powers to do so if they were so inclined. That would leave England as one of the only countries in Europe or possibly the world where .22 centrefires would not be allowed to shoot deer of similar size.

Incidentally Silverfoxintry is that a .223 wsm you mention or were you intending to post .223 Remington?
    Last edited by 8x57; 14-06-2015 at 08:56.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

The explanation I was given was that the Scottish lads were better at shot placement and the English needed that bit extra to help cope with errors.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    The explanation I was given was that the Scottish lads were better at shot placement and the English needed that bit extra to help cope with errors.
    More like they are too tight and wouldn't want to use any more lead than is absolutely necessary! Especially with the price of copper as well.
    It is still rumoured that copper wire was actually invented by 2 jocks fighting over a penny!

Actually though, if you look at the recent Roe body weights thread, it would appear that the heaviest Roe in the UK are in Scotland which makes the law appear even more daft.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    We could all explain that it's because of the difference in laws between the two countries but as to the logic, NO.

Wouldn't it be even more interesting if the Welsh government adopted laws that would allow the use of .22 centrefires in Wales for roe, I am reliably informed that they have the powers to do so if they were so inclined. That would leave England as one of the only countries in Europe or possibly the world where .22 centrefires would not be allowed to shoot deer of similar size.

Incidentally Silverfoxintry is that a .223 wsm you mention or were you intending to post .223 Remington?
    Sorry. .223remington. I reload US military cases given to me when the Base on the Holy Loch closed. I still have a large quantity. So many in fact that I only use them Once.

On average English roe are heavier than in Scotland and it is not unusual to find bucks almost as heavy as fallow does. There is also some research which showed light bullets (under 100gr) have a higher wounding rate than heavier ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Himagain View Post
    On average English roe are heavier than in Scotland and it is not unusual to find bucks almost as heavy as fallow does. There is also some research which showed light bullets (under 100gr) have a higher wounding rate than heavier ones.

That research must be seriously flawed!