Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Induced Starvation

Induced Starvation

Hi

I was stalking a couple of weeks ago, and noticed this Fallow Doe joining a group of about 20 that I was stalking into. She was feeding normally but was moving slowly, more slowly than the others, and looked to be thin, but not sickly apparently.

Any way, got close enough with a little patience, and put her on the grass. Noticed her haunches and pelvis were sticking out, and ribs evident, so got on with normal suspended gralloch. She appeared young, not pregnant, and when I got the gralloch on the ground her rumen appeared to contain hard snooker ball sized lumps together with a bunch of shredded black plastic, baler twine and polyprop rope.

This was revealed inside the rumen and the lumps were hard encysted grit.

Maybe she had been eating grit to try and shift the blockage? Any way she only weighed 42 lbs as opposed to around 65... and 0% kidney fat, so she'd been in trouble for some time by the looks of it. No other abnormalities noted, lymphatics all normal, lungs OK, no liver fluke.

So, lesson learned and ought to be propagated: If you see baler twine and cordage and plastic bags lying about..... pick them up and dispose of safely. This is no way for any animal to suffer due to Mans carelessness.

I guess I did her a favour.

Peter

I like your carcass hoist Peter, very clever, did you make it? Presumably you can lower them straight into the truck when finished.
    Fallow are notorious for chewing plastic but I have no idea why. Have heard of it being a big problem on deer farms in NZ. I used to farm fallow and they would chew on the plastic water pipes between the ground and the water trough. I think there is an element of inquisitiveness involved but it does get them into trouble. String, silage net wrap etc all need to be kept out of the way.

Fascinating post and pics - thanks.

I would never have expected a deer to swallow that much rope and twine. I wonder if once they ingest a certain amount of rope they can't reguritate it so they have to eat it all? Or perhaps they expect to be able to reguritate it then find they can't?

That may remain a mystery, but clearly it makes sense to collect and dipose of any discarded rope, etc... and I will aim to do so now.

Peter, thats very interesting and something that I have come across several times. Good on you for shooting her and taking the time to investigate the problem and then share it with us. Would you mind if I saved the third photo for training purposes? Obviously I would not publish, sell or claim as my own. Nice set-up on your truck by the way. Best wishes, JC.

Peter,

I also use a Jimny for my shooting and would appreciate if you could give details of your carcass hoist.

Thanks,
    Mike

That's extraordinary. I had no idea they would or could ingest foreign debris on that sort of scale!

I've found tesco bags, orange electric fence, black silage wrap, net type hay wrap, s/gun cartridges, s/gun wads, bailing twine, blue rope plus several unidentifiable balls of compressed plastic. Whilst this is interesting for us, the sad thing is that (apart fron the tesco bags), all of this litter is shooting/farming related. I've only found this in fallow but, to be fair, I shoot vastly more fallow than other species. JC

JC - Of course , please go ahead and use the picture for training, it may be of interest to potential DSC candidates at any level. And, also yes about Fallow chewing plastic, the Keeper on the Estate has problems with them chewing through the watering pipes into his Pens.... Fallow are not his favourite form of wildlife!

Cyberstag & Rem 7C - The answer is yes, but I didn't do the fabrication as thats beyond my welding abilities. The roof rail attachments are the weak point, and I am intending to make a modification by installing internal supports from the seat belt attachment points and bolting through the roof to transverse box sections. The factory roof rails are only held on with 6mm bolts and although i have load tested the whole thing to 200lbs, I feel that eventually the rail bolts may fail, and I dont want that to happen in the dark with a 150lb Fallow Buck dangling on it.

The guy wires are 4mm dia. s/s wire with swaged end connection made by carabiner clips to the transverse rails. The hoist is also due an upgrade to probably a Quad winch or similar, just to take my ancient back out of the handling equation. The 'A' frame is 25mm dia s/s tube, with a s/s plate padeye on the end to take the hoist.

The contraption takes 2 mins to rig, and the same to stow it away again, and it lives permanently on the vehicle, secured with a small cargo strap.

It has taken up to large Fallow size deer, and as you observe , once the beast is gralloched, it can be slid down into the tray without touching the ground again. I can get 2 fallow does into that tray, and 2 more on the shelf above in a second tray. If I get more than that in an outing, I call for help!

The Jimny is great as a one man shooting vehicle, a bit cramped with two, but Clients are amused by its capabilities, and just where it will go. I havent done anything to it except to fit some fairly aggressive tyres, ( el cheapo ) remoulds of Italian manufacture. Took out the back seats and lined it out to make clean cargo space which is floored in flexible hard rubber ( yachty type stuff).

Additions?.... hmm needs a sensible mobile light to go on the gantry which would be an improvement over the head torch after dark; the electric winch definitely an advantage. Could do with a cross rail for gralloching roe just in case there is not a handy tree to hang it from.

I am away from Home at present, but if you want the dimensions, I could measure it sometime for you and PM you ?

Oh, and the welding was done by a s/s fab shop in the local Marina, not too expensive, and in any event how much is ones back worth?

I have some more pics if you are interested.

ATB

Peter

Peter, be careful
    Quote "I am intending to make a modification by installing internal supports from the seat belt attachment points"
    Check with your MOT station before putting a secondry use on the anchor point, They may fail it for non standard usage. I had to remove an anchor ring I had attached to the rear seat point to fasten the dog lead to. Theoretically it could weaken the anchor.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka 260 View Post
    JC - Of course , please go ahead and use the picture for training, it may be of interest to potential DSC candidates at any level. And, also yes about Fallow chewing plastic, the Keeper on the Estate has problems with them chewing through the watering pipes into his Pens.... Fallow are not his favourite form of wildlife!

Peter
    Thanks mate. JC