Thread: Lightning does strike twice or maybe three times!

Lightning does strike twice or maybe three times!

After a mixed bag of weather over this weekend I thought members would like to hear about a set of circumstances that occurred with clients whilst Roe Buck stalking on my areas in West Sussex.

The first client had booked for one stalk, and although a shooting man he had never grassed a deer before. weather on the mornings stalk was set fair this past Friday and within 5 minutes of leaving the vehicle we were in on two Roe does busily grazing in a glade between two woods.

Leaving them to get on with their feeding we moved to another area where I had taken a poor 4 pointer the week before. It was not long before I spotted a cull buck moving between the trees and in the same place I had grassed one with the previous client. The buck had no idea we were there and turned into the opening between the trees and proceeded to walk straight towards us. The buck was in no hurry and was walking steadily towards us. The client was ready on the sticks, the buck decided to stop and the shot was taken which dropped the deer on the spot.

One very happy client.

In the evening I had another client who had never grassed a deer before. The weather was not good and as we left the bothy it started to rain and the distant role of thunder meant we were in for a drenching.
    To cut a long story short we waited in the pickup for the torrential rain storm to pass and then proceeded to stalk the area. I had seen a cull buck a week before and wanted him out of the way.
    It was with some luck that we found the buck in attendance with two does, a few minutes passed and again the buck along with the does walked straight towards us and to the point where we were almost shaking hands.

Shot was taken and another first deer grassed. Another very happy client.

The following morning I was up again at 4am awaiting a long standing client (Marcel) who is a member of this site. Quick cuppa and out the door.
    I decided to stalk the fields surrounding the big wood and we eventually ended up in exactly the same area I had been the previous morning.

I was somewhat surprised to see another 4 point cull buck suddenly appear in exactly the same place as the one shot on the morning before and the week before that!!

Again we were shaking hands with the buck which had no idea we were there, and a free hand shot took the buck out.

Altogether I had 4 clients this weekend and 3 bucks, but to take 3 bucks all the same in the same place within literally 10 to 20ft of each other was a first for me.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Glad to see the buck seasons started well malcolm.

I've shot 6 bucks on one farm between 10 May and now.

Three were in one field, all within 10m of eachother (roughly 10 days apart).

Three were in a small marsh, essentially standing in EXACTLY the same spot. Of these, two were less than 8 hours apart, and the second was standing on the patch of blood from the first.

Looking at my records, I've shot more deer in that little marsh than the rest of the farm put together, all within a 10X10m square.

Stands to reason really: if a spot is really attractive to one animal, it'll be attractive to others.

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    Glad to see the buck seasons started well malcolm.
    Cheers Steve,
    I didn't start until the last weekend of May. So far I have had 15 outings with 9 clients and taken 8 Bucks and one missed. Lots of does about, one night we counted a total of 22 with bucks in about 2.5 hours.

Lets hope the rut is a good one this year. How's that orchard you were stalking producing this year?
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Good work Malc.

Two observations, firstly how revealing are trailcams? I stick one in a wee wood where I think I have one roe buck in and it captures three or, in one case four! Secondly - whether it's since buying my trail cams last year or just this being a good year but I'm seeing and thus shooting nearly twice as many roe bucks this year. It's probably a case of the former plus plain old good luck (for me not them!) but off all of my pieces I'm on 21 bucks this year to date whereas the average over the past ten years has been 11.

Seen a couple and some on some more ground a few miles away. Numbers slowly increasing but I don't think the numbers will ever be like west Sussex. They just don't take to the fallow . How are the heads looking. I think it could be a bumper year. Yes let's hope for a rut to remember!
    Atb steve

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    Seen a couple and some on some more ground a few miles away. Numbers slowly increasing but I don't think the numbers will ever be like west Sussex. They just don't take to the fallow . How are the heads looking. I think it could be a bumper year. Yes let's hope for a rut to remember!
    Atb steve
    You are right there, Roe don't seem to do so well where there are good numbers of Fallow. That's one of the reasons why I don't want too many over one side of the estate I have in West Sussex.

I have seen two very nice Roe Bucks so far, including a possible gold. Time will tell and hopefully I will catch up with one of them a little later in the year?

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

I think you are right with roe and fallow, when I was in Hampshire/Wiltshire where the fallow were very transient it didn't affect the roe much but in the New Forest and surrounding areas where the fallow were in higher numbers and more sedentary the roe numbers were always much lower. Contrasting to that was where I have stalked with red and sika where the roe seem to coexist more happily with the larger species.