Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liver Fluke

Liver Fluke

On one of my stalking areas, around 80% of the Roe population have liver fluke infestation
    or have scarring on the livers from previous infestations.

Does anyone know of how you can treat a wild deer population for fluke.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    On one of my stalking areas, around 80% of the Roe population have liver fluke infestation
    or have scarring on the livers from previous infestations.

Does anyone know of how you can treat a wild deer population for fluke.
    Liver Fluke is a disease thats contracted from the water snail and i doubt if you could eradicate it at source i would look to the areas were stagnant water may be standing and cattle using it as they spread it onto surounding grass areas were the deer feed

Caprelous, Its a large coastal area 20,000 acres, a mix of woodland and rough grazing, with just a little arable land, lots of salt marsh and standing water, impossible to exclude cattle from the wet areas, there has always been a lot of cattle on this ground
    I have stalked this ground for 10 years and whilst I always found fluke, it has escalated in the last 3 years, this seems to have coincided with the introduction of sheep to the area, whilst the sheep population is not so large, they are free to roam most
    of the rough grazing and coastal areas.

I understand the life cycle of fluke, and I know that sheep can be dosed for it, but what I wondered was if there was anything that could be added to a deer lick to dose them with

A herd manager close to me uses a trade name "Flukicide"

Flukicide is a general term for products that kill fluke. Like saying I use the product 'wormer' in my dogs.

It would be inappropriate to attempt to treat wild deer as all the products used to kill fluke have a meat withold from sale - so the individual animal would need to be marked.

Park deer can be treated.

There are no products licensed to treat fluke in deer.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

As posted it is illegal to administer flukicide or acaricides to wild deer, we do both in an extensive park, not that we have a problem with fluke but more to prevent one becoming estabilished in an artificially enclosed area. So far, in feed flukicide seems to work as we dose over the winter months when most of the animals will come to the feed. I only rarely see fluke in our roe but the reds on the low farm ground on one of our places have a significant burden where as the deer on the high tops have little or none. The reds seem to be able to cope with quite a large fluke burden and show no ill effects from it. I have the impression that roe maybe suffer more from fluke as they can do from tick.
    I do think that eventually the Gov will have to licence some form of acaricide for wild deer primarily because of (duty of care) to the risk to human health from lyme disease for those accessing FC ground .

Unfortunately, here in Fife, particularly NE Fife, the incidences of fluke infestation are at unprecedented levels.
    I know of a small number of Roe deer carcasses that have been found and further examination has suggested Fluke to be responsible for their demise.
    The best option for a reduction in the incidence of fluke, certainly in wild deer is for some prolonged periods of hard frost followed by a dry and hot spring and summer.
    Due to the downpour that was summer 2012, there was plenty of standing water, creating an abundance of breeding habitat for the snails.
    From speaking with farming friends, they have been advised that deer and rabbits are prolific carriers of fluke and are increasing their deer cull numbers accordingly.
    Not necessarily a bad thing as as a generalisation, not enough Roe does are shot here in Fife.

Regards

BP

Can dogs or humans catch liver fluke from deer?

I do think that eventually the Gov will have to licence some form of acaricide for wild deer primarily because of (duty of care) to the risk to human health from lyme disease for those accessing FC ground .[/QUOTE]

Good shout!

The past few years i have started to see more and more deer with liver fluke. In certain areas every year 3-4 roe deer are being found dead. In some cases doe and both fawns found dead within a couple of weeks.