Thread: Perfect cull buck?

Perfect cull buck?

I shot a roe buck this season with a chronic skin disease and a roe doe this winter with three legs but for sheer 'number of ticks in boxes' I might just have shot the perfect cull buck last week.
    I had waited on the edge of a young maize field for about two hours hoping to intercept a yearling roe buck I had seen the night before. As the light was fading and nothing cervine had shown I wandered back to the car. I was just driving around the corner when I saw two roe in a silage field on my right. I turned in to the private drive that heads to two old gate lodges and stalked up the hedge to discover they were both does. Sods law I thought, but as it's a field by a fast, busy road I was going to shoo them off.
    However, thank God I waited as at that a decent, mature six point buck chased a smaller looking buck in to view. As the smaller buck slowed he looked a touch lame behind.
    I managed to crawl through the longer crop in the headland and get the rifle up on the roe sack prone, the buck had a good back stop in the rise in the field and he was walking to the left towards some trees in the field so a quick whistle made him stop as I squeezed a round off from the 6.5x55. The light was fading but I saw him jump and heard a good solid thump, he ran about ten yards at that reassuring 'lilt' before he collapsed and kicked twice.
    Although the other deer soon started feeding again I showed myself to try and discourage them from using that field as I collected the buck.

On the 'points' scale he was:
    1. A 'murder buck' with no back tine on his left antler and only small brow tines on both (see pic below)
    2. With a nice six pointer (who he could have injured given the above)
    3. Slightly lame which was revealed as a fresh lower joint (probably fence) injury
    4. In a field that is by a fast road where we have had a number of RTAs over the years
    5. In said field that is also quite busy and visible from the road making him a 'poacher magnet' (we suffer mainly from lurcher boys)

So 5 out of 5 but, as his carcass was in good condition on inspection maybe add venison in to make it up to 6/6!
    Nick

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Murder Buck Old Lodges 10.06.15.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	469.3 KB 
ID:	58037

nice work and nice write-up, thank you... that's what stalking this time of year is all about.
    oh, and great use of 'cervine' to boot...

Congratulations on a job well done. My Danish buck season has been the same. Om opening morning I took a 10kg knobler. We saw quite a few well developed yearlings so we usually take these poor ones. A few days I was on a different ground and after a particularly old buck. I ran into a younger buck and had started to take some photos before I noticed he was injured (probably from fighting) so I took this one also. The following evening I took the "murderer" - fantastic seasonClick image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150516_11_56_41_Pro.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	916.1 KB 
ID:	58150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150520_19_57_04_Pro.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	694.3 KB 
ID:	58151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150521_21_02_34_Pro.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	678.5 KB 
ID:	58152

Name:	WP_20140830_003.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	312.4 KB 
ID:	58161

Name:	WP_20140830_005.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	303.9 KB 
ID:	58162

Buck I took last year with the back leg missing. You can see on the second photo how it has thrown the opposite side of the head off. The rear leg had completely healed over, the buck was feeding in fairly tall cover and had a serious limp to one side. However he was healthy enough and apart from the loss of part of his back leg was in good condition.
    Sorry for the slightly graphic photos.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Martin BN - I think you have trumped me this season!
    Malc - he ticks a few boxes for sure, its an amazing wonder of nature isn't it how an injury one side will affect the antler on the other? With my lad it must have been a coincidence as the injury was still fresh and still 'bloody.' Another wonder of nature - how well they can do on three legs.

Good stuff Nick. Always good to get one like that!

Looks like you are on nights James?!

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post

Name:	WP_20140830_003.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	312.4 KB 
ID:	58161

Name:	WP_20140830_005.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	303.9 KB 
ID:	58162

Buck I took last year with the back leg missing. You can see on the second photo how it has thrown the opposite side of the head off. The rear leg had completely healed over, the buck was feeding in fairly tall cover and had a serious limp to one side. However he was healthy enough and apart from the loss of part of his back leg was in good condition.
    Sorry for the slightly graphic photos.

Good work - what caliber left that hole?