Thread: Chicken and Egg. How do you go about a one for one swap?

Chicken and Egg. How do you go about a one for one swap?

I want to sell my current rifle and buy a newer model. This may be just a trade-in with the dealer or I might do better if I sell privately.

What do I need to do first with regard to one for one variations and so on?

Do I apply for the variation first then then advertise the rifle and and order the new one or advertise and order, then put in for the variation at the time of transaction?

Presumably I have to send in my FAC to have it marked up to buy another rifle, but do I have to get rid of my old one first and have it taken off before they will give me permission to buy another…?

I was thinking I would hang on to the moderator I have as it is Titanium, but maybe I would have more options if I had permission to buy another one of those too.

Alan

Sell first to clear a space on your ticket then straightforward one to one variation

or just be cheeky and ask for an additional slot with good reason ....eg I don't want one screw cut for a mod etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    I want to sell my current rifle and buy a newer model. This may be just a trade-in with the dealer or I might do better if I sell privately.

What do I need to do first with regard to one for one variations and so on?

Do I apply for the variation first then then advertise the rifle and and order the new one or advertise and order, then put in for the variation at the time of transaction?

Presumably I have to send in my FAC to have it marked up to buy another rifle, but do I have to get rid of my old one first and have it taken off before they will give me permission to buy another…?

I was thinking I would hang on to the moderator I have as it is Titanium, but maybe I would have more options if I had permission to buy another one of those too.

Alan
    Base line is that you have to unload your current off your FAC and thus have a vacancy. You then spend the time that your local force takes to get your free 141.

Now, there are two other options.

1. Put in for an additional slot at the price it takes for a variation and then do the deed. Time will likely be the same.

2. Have already invested time in supporting a good local gunshop who more than likely spend their time supporting clients who support them. They can be very obliging receiving product on your behalf and waiting until paperwork is correct.

I always seem to gain benefit from option 2. The Internet is not your real friend......

Stan

Whenever I do so I put in a variation requesting the caliber I want, returning my certificate for ammendment, together with a written request that my existing rifle is put on a section 7 permit.
    This allows me to continue to use my rifle until the variation comes through. I can then buy the new one and hold and dispose of the old one, which is now on the S7 permit, at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
    Whenever I do so I put in a variation requesting the caliber I want, returning my certificate for ammendment, together with a written request that my existing rifle is put on a section 7 permit.
    This allows me to continue to use my rifle until the variation comes through. I can then buy the new one and hold and dispose of the old one, which is now on the S7 permit, at my leisure.
    +1 - this is what I have been advised to do by A&S when I come to upgrade my WMR in the summer
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

answer is to ALWAYS have a slot on your FAC that is occupied by a Sound Moderator that you never bought

flip it 141 for the extra rifle
    buy it
    sell the old one
    flip slot back to Sound Moderator

thus never being without a rifle

Devon and Cornwall will give you a temporary (3months) holding order for the firearm you want to sell free of charge. This then frees a slot up. I find always speaking to the FEO is very rewarding as they usually can advise you the best route.

BE

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    answer is to ALWAYS have a slot on your FAC that is occupied by a Sound Moderator that you never bought

flip it 141 for the extra rifle
    buy it
    sell the old one
    flip slot back to Sound Moderator

thus never being without a rifle
    I never thought of that!! So that .22 rimfire mod I never got can get flipped for a .416 Rigby (or more realistically a .30 cal mod for a 6.5 x 47 rifle....... )y

You sure Bewsher??)

If that's right...I'm on the case!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsettaff View Post
    I never thought of that!! So that .22 rimfire mod I never got can get flipped for a .416 Rigby (or more realistically a .30 cal mod for a 6.5 x 47 rifle....... )y

You sure ?)
    yep.
    They can't have it both ways, its either a restricted item or its not!

I flipped a mod for a .222
    a .22lr my father owns but I have authority for ...for a .308

I should add, it doesn't change the need to show good reason