Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A9 Average speed cameras

A9 Average speed cameras

Word of advice for any Hi-Lux owners travelling the A9 in their motor, make sure you know the speed limits your vehicle is allowed to do.
    We've had a warning at work to watch our speed - 50mph on the normal sections and 60mph on the dual-carriageways.
    One lad got done for doing 64mph three times in the one shift (automatic 3pts per offence)
    It seems the average speed cameras are linked to a computer that checks the type of vehicle and correlates with the permitted speed of the vehicle.

Otherwise happy motoring!

Painful and the lad has my sympathy.

I found myself with 3 Bus Lane tickets in less than 10 minutes when getting lost in Bath City centre a couple of years ago! All c/o of the same camera too.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyEddie View Post
    Word of advice for any Hi-Lux owners travelling the A9 in their motor, make sure you know the speed limits your vehicle is allowed to do.
    We've had a warning at work to watch our speed - 50mph on the normal sections and 60mph on the dual-carriageways.
    One lad got done for doing 64mph three times in the one shift (automatic 3pts per offence)
    It seems the average speed cameras are linked to a computer that checks the type of vehicle and correlates with the permitted speed of the vehicle.

Otherwise happy motoring!
    That Would only be for a commercial vehicles, private Vehicals have the same speed limits as any normal Vehicals in their class -: ie hilux=car

60 on dual carriageways apples to all vans! Only "car derived vans" are exempt. (According to the speed awareness course I did in February ) being commercially owned makes no difference.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    60 on dual carriageways apples to all vans! Only "car derived vans" are exempt. (According to the speed awareness course I did in February ) being commercially owned makes no difference.
    - Don't think it does - depends what the vehicle was first registered as i believe, but that aside the op was talking about a Hilux which is still classed as a car. Haha what is a speed awareness course for???

A car derived van is all well and good so long as it is registered as such some are registered as a commercial on the V5 as some are finding out it appears. Don't forget attaching a trailer drops the limit too. Just for good measure I am told they check for seatbelt and mobile phone offences as well. Sound like we should be thrilled to negotiate the potholes up and down it's length.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Painful and the lad has my sympathy.

I found myself with 3 Bus Lane tickets in less than 10 minutes when getting lost in Bath City centre a couple of years ago! All c/o of the same camera too.

K
    Huge outcry bout that camera, so much that all tickets were cancelled, hope yours were also!

It doesn't matter if the pickup is registered privately or to a business as it's the classification of the vehicle that matters.

The majority of double cab pickups will be classed as 'dual purpose' vehicles - constructed/adapted for the carriage of both passengers and goods, etc., etc. - and exactly the same speed limits apply to them as cars: unless other wise indicated, motorway 70 mph, dual carriageway 70 mph, single carriageway 60 mph. (usual reductions when towing).

Was the OP's oppo driving a single cab Hilux by any chance? If it's double cab then he'll probably have a defence.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyL View Post
    Huge outcry bout that camera, so much that all tickets were cancelled, hope yours were also!
    No!
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

all vans are pretty much limited DOes not mater that it its private its the vehicular type on the V5

if you have 4 wheel drive its and automatic qualification for Dual purpose

One reason i didn't end up with a VW Van
    even with the seats in the back it didnt qualify for Dual s they where removable and I couldn't justify the 4x4 option