Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need another set of hands - how to stalk with a dog

I need another set of hands - how to stalk with a dog

Well I took my pup out stalking on Friday. I have hunted lots with a dog and shotgun, but never really stalked with one. And I shoot left handed. Some challenges immediately showed themselves:

walking to heel - I've always had a dog on my left hand side - but gets in the way of rifle handling. She is now on the right.

using a dog lead - ultimately I would like her off a lead, but she is only little and would prefer she never gets the chance to chase. I need to attach the lead to me so I can use binoculars etc. I did loop the end of lead through my belt - but what do others do.

Saying that it was a good result. We got into a doe at 30 yards and she was very nice and steady although sniffing hard, and a few minutes later I called in a fox and I had a shot at a it from a seated position with her right close to me. I was concentrating more on her and pulled the shot, b....., but she did nt show any reaction to the shot at all which is ideal.

Total time was 20 minutes so short and sweet and great to see her potential. I just need to work out how to carry sticks, rifle, bins and manage a dog all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Well I took my pup out stalking on Friday. I have hunted lots with a dog and shotgun, but never really stalked with one. And I shoot left handed. Some challenges immediately showed themselves:

walking to heel - I've always had a dog on my left hand side - but gets in the way of rifle handling. She is now on the right.

using a dog lead - ultimately I would like her off a lead, but she is only little and would prefer she never gets the chance to chase. I need to attach the lead to me so I can use binoculars etc. I did loop the end of lead through my belt - but what do others do.
    Saying that it was a good result. We got into a doe at 30 yards and she was very nice and steady although sniffing hard, and a few minutes later I called in a fox and I had a shot at a it from a seated position with her right close to me. I was concentrating more on her and pulled the shot, b....., but she did nt show any reaction to the shot at all which is ideal.

Total time was 20 minutes so short and sweet and great to see her potential. I just need to work out how to carry sticks, rifle, bins and manage a dog all at the same time.
    The same as for any other shooting,they should be trained to walk to heel without a lead, and be steady to all game before being taken into the field, you say she is only little, how little? It's a great temptation to try and work them to soon.

Also depends on the breed, labs or spaniels nothing other than obedience training before nine months and would not take into the field until say eighteen months, H.P Rs I don't even start until eighteen months.

Tendancy is to do to much to soon and that includes myself, the more time you spend on the basics, before even letting them see game , will pay off in the long run.

I enjoy stalking with my Labrador, it adds something to the whole experience. I trained my bitch to sit at the sound of a low 'hiss', which has proved very useful.

I have never let my bitch go forward after a shot so even when she can plainly see the quarry, she makes no attempt to do so. I have not used a lead but spent a great deal of time getting her absolutely reliable at heel. Now with experience she likes to be just that bit in front of my leg, so that she can smell what is ahead and 'tell' me.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

You could consider one of those ever the shoulder long leads.

Niggeloh Stalking Collar Lead (Jaeger) - Muntjac Trading

Problems solved. I just use the lower part and clip that on my roe sack if I take it.

I am left handed and i had the same problem.

my first stalking dog was a lab and i trained him to walk off the lead and when i use my binoculars i rest them on top of my sticks for a steady view, so what i did i trained my dog to sit every time i used my sticks to glass an area, he also sat when i took the shot and kept sitting until i needed him.

By doing this also he got quite good at noticing deer ahead if the wind was in his favour, he still does it now although he is now retired at the ripeold age of 13.

i hope this helps.

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

you work as best suits you, basics are essential, I then move to hand commands. don't under estimate the dogs intelligence it learns to please so therefore reward is essential, praise is key, when you aren't happy drop your shoulders. I only clip, that is put the dog on lead harness when it's to work on trail, most dogs will sent blood, they actually sent adrenaline, but you will be amazed provided the dog hasn't been tried too early how good they are... don't be over anxious, the dog is only as good as you? crap trainer crap dog! good luck I wish you well with the rewards that are available
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

I have one of these http://www.oaksidesaddlery.co.uk/can...ead/p/48682063 leads for my bitch which I connect to her collar then thread behind my belt before clipping it back to itself at the shortest setting. She's getting better at the off lead heel, but on this lead she is great, goes just ahead of my left leg but with the lead sti'll loose, and keeps to my pace no bother at all.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Wot age is ur dog?

I'd say train it to do wot suits u, not wot or how other people do it.
    Everyone will have slightly different needs/expectations/hopes etc in a dog. If u want a dog to walk to heel of the lead just train it to do that, very simple to train a dog to sit/stop when u stop.
    Basically sit down and think wot u want ur dog to do wether stalking or bird shooting and then work on training it to do it.

Depending on the age of ur pup but i'd say its too young to be stalking if not walking to heel very well on/off lead. By taking it early there is a change it will associate stalking with being on the lead tied to u, it will probably also start pulling because it knows ur not concentrating on it and its heel position and will learn it can et away with pulling while stalking as not be getting chatised the same as it would on a normal walk for pulling

I have got a Jaeger lead from permatack Bloodtracking - Rescue Canine and have the lead over my shoulder