Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Literature on Stalking Recommendations

Literature on Stalking Recommendations

Hi.
    I hope to start stalking this year and in preparation I was wondering what books are available on the subject?
    I know a book cannot completely prepare me but anything that could help give me a grounding on the subject would be great.
    I have read “The Sporting Rifle” by Robin Marshall-Ball and wish to get deeper into the subject. so any pointers would be appreciated (Would I be better off with the BDS Training Manual for Stalkers for example).
    If it helps my main quarry would be Roe / Muntjac with the possibility of Fallow at some point, and I use a .243 (Apologies to all 6.5, .308, .270, .260 9.3 x 74, 450NE Fans ).
    Cheers
    Guy

WG, try "Roe Deer: Management and Stalking" by Richar Prior or Lewis Potters "Deer Stalking and Management". Both excellent books by men who really know their subject.

The DSC1 handbook is worth a read and there are lots of links on the web to informative sites;
    http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk...otplace02.aspx etc.etc.

Atb, ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Subscribe to the DCS/DI Best Practice Guide - you can find them on their websites and the hardcopies represent the best £15 you'll spend.

willie_gunn

Many thanks for the heads up as to what literature gentlemen. Hopefully I won’t look like a complete duffer when out now.

The ones already mentioned are excellent. You could also try The Deer Stalking Handbook by Graham Downing which is totally up to date (new laws etc). Don't write off the BDS Training Manual either, it's also full of valuable info.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    The ones already mentioned are excellent. You could also try The Deer Stalking Handbook by Graham Downing which is totally up to date (new laws etc). Don't write off the BDS Training Manual either, it's also full of valuable info.
    Mole is being exceptionally even-handed. He is a friend of Charles Smith-Jones whose book Muntjac, Managing An Alien Species is a unique addition to the stalking canon since it covers species-specific issues while also giving a good grounding in generic stalking equipment and techniques.
    KevinF -

Kevin is quite right - Charles Smith-Jones book on muntjac is excellent.

In a similar vein I'd also recommend Richard Prior's seminal work "Roe Deer: Conservation of a Native Species".

willie_gunn

Practical deerstalking by Kenneth Whitehead as a novice or professional you need no other . He tells you the correct way to go Deer Stalking

Now back home....

"Woodland Stalking" by Peter Carne is also very instructive, and the man himself was a true gentleman. I met him at one of the BDS Wessex meetings where he signed my copy and he was a font of knowledge. A lovely man who is fondly remembered. Although the book is now quite old I still read it frequently.
    "Deer Law and Liabilities" is good for the legal side of stalking, but make sure to get the latest edition.
    "Deer Management: Quality in Southern England" by Dominic Griffiths is also well worth a read, although I can't say I necessarily agree with everything in it.
    "The Deer Manager's Companion" by Rory Putman and Jochen Langbein is good to dip into, as is "Management of Deer and their Habitat" by Andrew de Nahlik, now sadly no longer with us.

For stories about stalking, then John Dryden's "Talking Stalking" and anything by Ian Alcock or Lea McNally are well worth a read.

Then there's all the books about big game hunting, rifles, shooting, New Zealand, Africa......

willie_gunn

Blimey! 'Canon' and 'seminal' in the same thread.

Class!

Pay attention!

KevinF -