Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 - Magazine issues

Tikka T3 - Magazine issues

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere... I tried searching but did not find any posts regarding this specific issue. My Tikka rifle has suddenly developed a problem feeding bullets from the magazine. The bolt will pick up a bullet and feed so far before sticking. This has happened with 3 different brands of bullets. Upon closer inspection I noticed the rim of the case seems to catch on the front edge of the magazine. Was thinking of putting a bit of a chamfer on the inside of the top front edge of the magazine to see if that solves the problem but not sure if it's worth voiding my warranty. Just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue and found a reliable fix?

Do you reload any ammo?, all my stuff is reloaded and I always make sure the case mouth is fully chamfered and de-burred, not had a problem yet.

Also, my T3 plastic mag is a very close fit and has to be pushed into place quite hard, is your mag def. fully seating?
    Last edited by phaedra; 16-06-2015 at 21:12.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Quote Originally Posted by Driesh View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere... I tried searching but did not find any posts regarding this specific issue. My Tikka rifle has suddenly developed a problem feeding bullets from the magazine. The bolt will pick up a bullet and feed so far before sticking. This has happened with 3 different brands of bullets. Upon closer inspection I noticed the rim of the case seems to catch on the front edge of the magazine. Was thinking of putting a bit of a chamfer on the inside of the top front edge of the magazine to see if that solves the problem but not sure if it's worth voiding my warranty. Just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue and found a reliable fix?
    Try feeding a full cartridge from your magazine and not just the bullet then.

Presumably a new rifle? If so don't alter the magazine in any way simply just take it back to where you purchased it and get them to change the magazine. I've seen a couple of new T3 rifles with similar problems and changing the magazine solved the issue. There must be some sort of production issue with a few of the magazines that come from the factory I guess?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

See if you can borrow another magazine for a T3. If the problems still there, it's the rifle, so back to the shop. If not, ask for another magazine under warranty

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Try feeding a full cartridge from your magazine and not just the bullet then.
    Damn! I knew I was doing something wrong.

Yes, it's a new rifle and the same thing has happened with reloaded ammunition as well as factory ammunition. Will ask to have the magazine exchanged I think rather than tinker with it. Just wasn't sure if it's a common issue with these. Thanks.

I wouldn't say common but not totally unknown.
    It's certainly not worth messing with as like you said originally you will only void the warranty and end up spending another 45 or so buying a replacement magazine.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Never liked the plastic T3 mags but never had a miss-feed with them. I would get the file out you would only be voiding the warranty on the mag at worst case

Dave

I had the same problem in 22.250, tried filling the mag, didnt make any difference, up graded to a Sako in the end.

I have had this problem with a number of T3 mags. The issue is with the injection moulded plastic leaving a burr/sharp edge on the inside front edge of the magazine. I have just rounded this edge off by scraping with a sharp knife to leave a small radius that does not catch the leading edge of the brass. I have done this to a number of T3 magazines and never had a problem afterwards. Please see attached photo with pencil pointing to the inside edge that I have removed the burr from.
    2tealClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20150624_235055.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	58496
    Last edited by 2teal; 25-06-2015 at 06:23. Reason: spelling

Thanks 2teal, that's exactly what I was thinking of doing. Have already requested a replacement so I'll see how that works and if the same issue arises think that's what I'll do.