Thread: Moving a kid??????

Moving a kid??????

Spotted a doe with a very young fawn out in the middle of a large grass field that is due to be mown for silage any time soon, would you risk moving the fawn out of the field (if you could find it) and risk the doe rejecting it??? I will tell the farmer even though its not on my ground ,but I know how fast the mowers go and not even sure the driver would be able to spot a fawn clapped to the ground in a heavy crop, any thoughts???

Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    Spotted a doe with a very young fawn out in the middle of a large grass field that is due to be mown for silage any time soon, would you risk moving the fawn out of the field (if you could find it) and risk the doe rejecting it??? I will tell the farmer even though its not on my ground ,but I know how fast the mowers go and not even sure the driver would be able to spot a fawn clapped to the ground in a heavy crop, any thoughts???
    couple of people walking through the area on he day it's due to be cut would normally move it on

Use a lot of fresh grass in your hands to keep off the human smell and move it to the edge of the field until its out of danger, when it squeaks the doe should find it OK if not you have a bottle feeding job to do. Best of luck.
    Martin

Ask the mower to start in the middle of the field and the work outwards, rather than starting round the edge and going inwards. That way fawns and young birds etc can move away from the noise, but still in cover.

I walk the fields before the cutting starts and move a few every year, I think the biggest problem is that when the fawns are hiding they only pee and poo when stimulated by the doe, when you move them in panic they sometimes go which leaves a scent for foxes to find them. The local contractor that I walk the fields for has a front and rear mower which gives little chance for them to escape.

Just move them to safety, the second they start squeeking the doe will move in.
    Even in a mowed field the doe will return to where the kid was laying and start calling if you moved the kid to the edge it will come running in. transfering scent should be avoided, that being said I have seen kids that were locked in a car with the family dog and kids(as in human) and were stroked and petted for hours before being returned and the doe still accepted them. if she doesn´t atleast it had a better shot than surviving a mower. to avoid them freaking out the best is cover them with a fresh towel and scoop it up with a snowscoop, that way it tends to just stay laying down and you can just slide it in a hedge.